Chapter 4

- Is he breathing? - I held my breath as I stopped behind Kazuha until I saw his little stomach rise and fall. He had long, shaggy hair and was spotted like a cow, but his wide-open eyes looked more like those of a frog. The poor goat was just a baby. And I had run it over while fighting over a bloody vibrator.

At first, I didn't really think I'd hit him. But then I watched, horrified, as it fell over hard with its four stiff legs facing upwards, like something out of a bad movie. Now we were both standing over him, waiting for something to happen. Neither of us knew exactly what to do.

Without warning, the goat turned around and suddenly stood up. Startled, we both jumped back. Kazuha's arms reached out, as if to protect me from a murderous beast.

The goat took a few cautious steps and walked straight to the BMW, as if the two-ton mass of steel wasn't there.

- Oh my God. I must have hurt his head. Look how confused the poor thing is.

I reached out to touch the wounded animal, but Kazuha grabbed my arm, forcing me to stop.

- What are you doing?

- I'm going to get him. Look at him. He's hurt. I ran him over. - I went around Kazuha and leaned on one knee, reaching out gently to the fluffy goat. - And it's all your fault.

- My fault?

- Yes, your fault. If you hadn't distracted me, I would have been paying more attention to the road, and this wouldn't have happened. - The goat rubbed its head against my hand. - Oh my God. Look how cute he is. - I stroked it and it snuggled even closer.

- It's not my fault. If you weren't so prudish about your sexuality, you would have calmed down when I found your magic wand.

I stopped stroking the goat's head.

- I'm not prudish.

Kazuha crossed his arms over his chest.

- Admit that you pleasure yourself. I want to hear you say it.

- I'm not admitting anything.

- Prude.

- Pervert.

- A pervert is someone who has wrong or unacceptable sexual behavior. That's your problem. You think pleasuring yourself is wrong. I think it's perfectly acceptable. In fact, I really like the idea of you using that little magic wand.

I was sure my eyes looked like the poor goat's - very wide. Then a truck honked at us. One of those double trailers that always made me nervous when it drove near me. A gust of wind behind it reminded me of how close we were to the road.

- Come on. It's dangerous here - said Kazuha.

- What are we going to do with Esmerelda?

- Who's Esmerelda?

- Him. - I stroked the back of the goat's ear, and it made a low noise that sounded like it was saying "mama".

- Let him go. - Kazuha waved her arm in the direction of the wooded area behind him. - He'll go back where he came from. He's fine.

- He's not fine.

- He looks fine to me.

- I think he has a head injury.

Kazuha shook her head.

- He's fine. Look. - Kazuha clapped his hands and made kissing sounds like he was calling a dog. - Come on, buddy. This way.

Esmerelda made no effort to move, quite content with her head pressed against my chest and her body between my legs.

- You need to let him go.