Chapter 14

Two years and two weeks earlier.

- Will the defendant please stand up?

I stood up. My lawyer did the same.

- Ms. Nakamura, did your lawyer explain the charges to which you are pleading guilty today?

- Yes, Your Honor.

- Before I can accept your guilty plea, I must make sure that you understand the charges, the effect of this plea and that you have a right to a trial. The procedure we will be doing here today is called an allocution. I will ask you a series of questions and then you will have the opportunity to make a statement on your own behalf before sentencing. Do you have any questions about this procedure?

- No, Your Honor.

- You've been charged with violating section 242 of the California penal code. Felony serious bodily injury. Did your attorney explain the elements of this crime to you?

- Yes, Your Honor. He did.

- And do you understand that you have the right to a trial by jury and that a guilty plea today will automatically waive that right?

- Yes, I understand that.

- And do you wish to waive that right today and plead guilty to the crime of which you have been accused?

- Yes.

- In your own words, can you please state the elements of the crime you are being charged with?

- I am being charged with physically assaulting another person and causing them serious bodily harm.

- Right, Ms. Nakamura. This court considers that you understand the nature of the crime with which you are charged and the implications of your confession. The public prosecutor and your lawyer have submitted an agreement. One of the conditions of this agreement requires you to provide explicit details of the crime you committed and the reason why it was committed. This removes any doubt as to the nature of your guilt. Are you prepared to provide the court with your statement?

I turned and looked at the almost empty courtroom. A bailiff was removing dirt from his fingernails. A few men in gray suits had their heads down, typing on their cell phones. It was as if nothing relevant was happening. This was something that happened every day. There was only one face that looked devastated. I did my best to convince her not to come, but she insisted. There, in the third row of the courtroom, sitting alone on one of the wooden benches, was my half-sister, Ryujin. Tears were silently streaming down her face. I hated that she had to hear the details all over again.

Turning my attention to the waiting judge, I nodded and spoke calmly:

- Yes, Your Honor. I'm ready.

- Good. What do you say, Ms. Nakamura? Tell the court what happened on the night of July 10th.

I swallowed.

- On the night of July 10th, I went to a drug dealer's house and threatened him...

The judge interrupted me and spoke to my lawyer:

- He's an alleged drug dealer, right? The victim hasn't been convicted of any crime?

My lawyer replied:

- Yes, Your Honor. The victim hasn't been convicted of any crime.

Isn't that outrageous? I'll be sentenced before the real criminals.

The judge addressed me.

- Ms. Nakamura, you can refer to the victim as a victim, an alleged drug dealer or by name. Anything else will not be tolerated. Is that clear?