Chapter 6

We parked the car near the perfect spot to enjoy the steep, rocky walls of the Grand Canyon. The beauty was electrifying.

- Oh my God, Kazuha. I can't believe I didn't think to stop here. I've always wanted to see this place live. I didn't realize it was right in our path. It's breathtaking.

Then I realized that, instead of looking at that majestic landscape, Kazuha was looking at me.

- Yes, it's very beautiful - she said quietly.

- Let's take a picture.

With the Canyon as a backdrop, Kazuha took a selfie of us with her cell phone. She then sent me the photo by text message. It had turned out really well. The sun was reflecting in her brown eyes, and we both looked very happy and at peace. I wished that this moment would last forever and that we would never have to leave this place.

As we sat, looking out at a multitude of red hues as the sun set over the landscape, Kazuha suddenly asked:

- Tell me about your family.

- My mother lives in Chicago. She wasn't happy about my move. I'm an only child, but since she remarried, I don't feel she needs me so much. My father died a year after I graduated from college, but at least he got to see me fulfill his dream, which was to become a lawyer like him.

- It was his dream, but not yours... - she said sympathetically.

- No. It wasn't what I really wanted.

- What is your dream?

- I just want to be happy and fulfilled, but I no longer have any idea what that means or how to achieve it. I'm uncertain about a lot of things. I feel like I'm at a crossroads.

- That's not the worst thing in the world. It seems like a good time to find yourself, especially since there's nothing holding you back.

- Yeah, I guess so.

- Speaking of which, I think we've scared off that asshole Jay for good.

Our laughter echoed around the room.

I stretched my arms back and looked up at the sky.

- You know what? I'm really happy now. This... our little adventure... has been good for my soul.

She gave me a sincere smile.

- You have a good soul. I could see that right away, despite the 'bad bitch' facade. Do you know why you're happy?

- You know why?

- Because you're finally letting go.

- I think you took all my tension away last night while I was sleeping in the tent, didn't you?

- Yes. I burned it all in the fire. - She nudged me with her shoulder.

I smiled and changed the subject.

- What about your family? Where are they?

Kazuha remained silent and scratched her chin.

- Like you, I also lost my father. He died of pancreatic cancer a few years after my injury.

- I'm really sorry.

- I only have a half-sister, Shin Ryujin, on my mother's side. She's a year younger.

- When my father died, my mother and her decided to move back here, but I stayed in Melbourne. I didn't intend to go back, but Ryujin got into some shit. She needed me. I had no choice but to drop everything and come and try to sort things out.