Chapter 10

We were sober by the time we got back to the hotel, although I still felt unbalanced. I was drunk, but not just from alcohol. We were still wearing the cheap costume rings that were souvenirs of our fake wedding and, when we reached the door to my room, Kazuha picked me up.

- I have to carry my wife inside.

I put my arms around her neck and leaned against her chest as she unlocked the door with one hand one hand.

- I wonder where this tradition comes from? Is it to show how strong you are?

- I think it started because wives got nervous about losing their virginity.

I snorted.

- Well, at least we don't have to worry about that.

Kazuha's eyes stared at me. She didn't even try to hide her jealousy. That gave me an idea.

- Do you want to get married someday? - I asked.

- Someday? I thought we'd just done that. - She put me down on the floor inside my room.

- I'm telling you the truth. I wonder who's going to carry me when I get married for real.

Kazuha's eyes were serious.

- I don't want to think about it.

I continued teasing.

- Maybe the new company is full of interesting bachelors.

- Just like Jay?

I shrugged and sat down to take off my high-heeled shoes.

- I've decided that I'm not going to let him get me down anymore. I've been moping around for two months now. When I get settled in California, I'm going back to the track. - I looked up and smiled.

Kazuha was still near the door.

- What's up, no snide comments about me being careful not to get run over? You're leaving something to be desired.

Her jaw tensed.

- Maybe you should use that magic wand of yours again, instead of rushing things.

I stood up and walked over to her, turning my back and pulling my hair to one side.

- Can you unzip it? - The room was silent for a long time before I felt Kazuha's hands touch me. One of them held my hip firmly, almost as if she had to hold it tightly to keep it in place. The other reached for the zipper. The sound of the zipper slowly being opened was quite erotic.

Seriously, what was wrong with me?

Neither of us moved. The air around us became tense.

- Kazuha? - I whispered. I didn't even recognize my voice. It was very low and hoarse.

Her fingers sank even deeper into my hip. It almost hurt, but it turned me on at the same time. I waited for her to say something. Anything at all. I kept waiting. Neither of us moved.

- Kazuha? - I tried to turn to face her, but her hands held me in place.

- No. I have to go, Chaewon. - She paused and took a deep breath. - The guy who manages to carry you for real is going to be one lucky asshole.

I didn't turn around until I heard my bedroom door close. I didn't want her to see me crying.

~~~☆~~~

She came back two hours later. The connecting door between our rooms was open enough for me to hear her moving around. My head was spinning, and the thought of never seeing her again after the trip was over made me sick to my stomach. I'd spent over a year with Jay, and the day I moved out didn't hurt as much as that.