Short Horror Story

This is just something we had do do in school, I posted it here to keep u guys occupied while waiting for the next chapter. Enjoy!

North Of Crail Street

In the small town of Sacralville, there was a blue house on top of a hill, just north of Crail Street. People said that it had once belonged to a kind noble family. After the family had passed, the house had sat there, waiting for a new family to live in it. The house lay abandoned for years, paint starting to peel, wood beginning to chip, and overgrown vines creeping up the walls, waiting for someone to stay.

That's only what most people knew.

South of Crail Street, there was a gray house, in which lived a lively girl named Cassie. She went to a school called Jackson Middle, and had two best friends, Jane and Rahly. Often, she would pass by the blue house on her way to school and wonder why nobody lived in the house anymore. After being fixed, it would be a beautiful house to live in, and she would gladly live there.

Jane didn't like the house. She thought it was creepy, but that may have been under the influence of Rahly's ghost stories that she scared them with at 3 a.m. during sleepovers. Rahly herself thought that the house was pretty cool, but she liked her own house just fine. Cassie had once suggested that they explore it, but Jane had tuned it down immediately, saying that they would be in big trouble if they got caught.

Today was Saturday, and the three friends were hanging out at the park near the swings. Jane was complaining about her older brother, who kept calling her a scaredy-cat because she was easily startled.

"If we explore the blue house, your brother can't call you a scaredy-cat anymore," Cassie suggested.

"Yeah! That would be fun!" Rahly, who was itching for adventure, added.

"I guess..." Jane muttered.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I don't think this was a good idea," Jane said as they stood at the doors of the house.

"Come on, all we have to do is look around for a bit. Shouldn't take us more than 15 minutes. We should be out be one o'clock," Rahly said, looking at her watch. Cassie nodded along, studying the frayed door handles.

"Well then, let's get this over with," Jane said, twisting the door handle. "It's locked. Looks like we shou-"

"I can pick the lock," Cassie interjected. Cassie had always been strangely good at picking locks, and always kept bobby pins and paper clips with her. "And...done."

The door creaked open, revealing a hallway, dimly lit by the light peering through the dusty windows. Cassie could smell the decaying wood and furniture of the old house.

"Okay, we've been inside, let's leave now," Jane said, turning back towards the door. "Eeeek!"

"Huh?" Cassie and Rahly turned around to find a terrified Jane staring at a wall. "Where's the door!?"

On the wall, where the door had been, was one word.

STAY

"Nonononono-" Jane started hyperventilating.

"I-It's okay, we can use the window," Rahly calmed Jane down. However, the windows were very old, and Cassie wasn't sure if they could be forced open.

"Am I dreaming? Please tell me i'm dreaming," Jane muttered as she tried to open a window and failed.

Rahly, who was the strongest of all the girls at school, couldn't even get the window to creak open a bit. It was like the house was doing all it could to keep them in. "Well, I guess we aren't leaving anytime soon."

"Maybe, this is just a prank my brother is playing on us," Jane realized.

"Maybe."

"Hey, there's a kitchen!" Cassie called from the next room.

"And what exactly are we supposed to do with a years-old kitchen?" Jane yelled back.

"There's food in the fridge!"

"What?"

There really was food in the fridge.

"Mmm, strawberry cheesecake!" Rahly exclaimed, pointing and the top shelve. "My favorite.

"Jane, look. There's your favorite fruit- blackberries, and the butternut squash soup I like," Cassie pointed out.

"Okay, but how exactly does this house know what our favorite foods are? And why is the food fresh, when this house has been uninhabited for such a long time?" Jane interjected.

"Maybe someone secretly lives here and likes these foods too," Rahly suggested.

"She's not wrong..." Cassie muttered. She couldn't shake the feeling that this was something to do with the STAY on the door-wall. She had started to feel like Jane was right, they shouldn't have come here in the first place.

"Should we eat it?" Rahly asked uncertainty. What had happened so far finally had its affect on the girls, and they all felt uneasy.

"What time is it?" Cassie asked suddenly.

"It-wait. My watch is cracked!" The screen of her apple watch was blank and cracked. "That's impossible! I didn't even feel anything!"

"Uhh...guys? My phone is gone!" Jane exclaimed.

Cassie felt for her phone, but her pocket was empty. "Oh, no."

"Hey guys! Look! There's a light down there!" Rahly pointed out. A faint light was shining through the hallway.

"Maybe an animal took our phones and turned the flashlight on?" Cassie suggested.

"Let's follow it," Rahly headed down the hallway, but Jane pulled her back.

"You don't know what's down there!" Jane exclaimed.

"Well, what if it's the way out?" Rahly shot back.

"How 'bout we take a look and then come back?" Cassie interjected.

"Fine. It can't get any worse than this," grumbled Jane.

They headed down the hall, and into a small room that had a trapdoor of some sort. The faint light was coming from it. Rahly reached the trapdoor first and pulled it open.

"Should we head down?" She asked.

"It's worth a look," Cassie supplied. Jane sighed and followed them down. At the bottom of the ladder, they could see that it was some kind of basement. However, as soon as their feet touched the ground, the light disappeared.

"Okay, let's go back now, there's nothing here," Jane snapped and headed back up. "Wait. The trapdoor's locked!" She climbed back the ladder, fear evident on her face. "Please let this be a prank!"

"Uhh...guys?" Cassie pointed at the dark end of the basement. "Something's moving back there."

They could all se something shifting in the darkness.

"Okay, we should really get going now," Rahly gasped.

"STAYYYYYYYYYY " The thing in the shadows whispered.

The girls stood there paralyzed in fear, as the thing came closer.

"STAY WITH MEEEEE "

"WHAT ARE YOU!" Rahly screamed.

"I AAM THHHE HOUSE "

"What do you mean?" Cassie whispered.

"YOU WILL STAYYYYY "

"NO, I DON'T WANT TO STAY!" Jane yelled.

"YOU WILL STAY WITH ME "

The thing came closer.

They saw its face.

They screamed, but no one could hear them.

All that was there was the blue house on top of a hill, just north of Crail Street, in the small town of Sacralville.