22. Fight Back!

It was late at night when Luna lay wide awake in her sleeping area whilst the other prisoners were getting a much-needed night's rest. She could hear the almost nonexistent footsteps of Aang coming near her and sat up so he could lead her to her brother and Appa.

"Your 12 hours are up. Where is Haru? We've got to get out of here." Sokka questioned her as Appa stayed leveled just lower than the bars that prevented prisoners from jumping in the water.

"I can't." Luna tried saying as Aang went through the bars and hopped on Appa.

"We don't have much time. There are guards everywhere. Get on!" Sokka whispered as he glanced around to make sure no guards were coming towards them.

"Luna, what's wrong?" Aang asked her when he saw the look on her face.

"I'm not leaving." she finally said making Aang and Sokka look at each other with worried expressions.

"I can't. You didn't see these people that are now prisoners. Haru told me about his father, the man that he looked up to. The man who fought fearlessly even though he was severely outnumbered. That was not the man that I met today. The fire nation crushed their spirits and their hopes. Do you know what their plan is?" she asked rhetorically.

"What?" Sokka carefully asked.

"It's to wait out until the end of the war!" she whispered in exasperation while throwing her hands up.

"The people that once fought for what they believed in are now waiting for the war to be over. A war that has been going on for 100 years! They have no idea how much longer they will be here but I'm pretty sure that they have made peace with dying here and that is something that I cannot and will not accept." Luna finished with nothing but determination on her face.

"Luna, it was already such a risk for you to be arrested and taken here and now you want to stay here longer?! Who knows what could happen?" Sokka said quietly but his tone got his message across. He was most definitely not happy with the turn of events.

"Sokka, if I'm in any real danger you need to remember that this is a prison made especially for earth benders which means their main concern was getting them away from their element. But I'm not an earth bender, I'm a water bender and all they did was surround me with mine. So if things go too far I have what I need to destroy this entire prison. Hopefully, it won't come to that." Luna reminded her brother knowing how he got when feeling protective over her.

"How would we even help them?" Aang questioned curiously.

"Shh, we need to hide," Sokka said as he saw lights coming closer to them which meant fire nation soldiers were walking towards their hiding spot.

"Go hide," Aang whispered to Appa who immediately flew away out of sight while the three of them ran off to a more secluded hiding spot. But unfortunately, Appa didn't have anywhere to go but up which meant that he would be spotted.

"Look!" one of the soldiers exclaimed as they moved their lanterns higher to get a better look.

~With the Warden~

"Tell me exactly what you saw." the warden commanded the two soldiers.

"Well, sir, it looked like a flying bison." the first soldier explained.

"What?" the warden asked confused.

"It was a giant flying buffalo, sir, with an empty saddle." the second soldier also explained.

"Which was it, a buffalo or a bison?" the warden asked annoyed with their different explanations.

"I-I-I'm not sure what the difference is, but that's not really the point, is it sir?" the first soldier said confused on how to answer.