VISITING DAY

Emery lay biting her nails, staring at the ceiling on Erics bed.

After almost being thrown over the chasm, Eric basically carried her back to his apartment after the final physical. She had protested, as a lot of people were celebrating, but to be honest, even though she wanted to go, Emery had aches and pains in every ounce of her body. She did need to rest.

There would be plenty of opportunities to party with her friends.

Her mind was whizzing with a million different thoughts, she was paying no attention to Eric.

"Emery?" Eric's voice racketed in her ears. She jumped a little and looked at him.

"Yeah?"

"I asked you a question", he stated. Emery sat up and looked at her thumbs.

"Sorry, what did you say?"

"Are you excited, about tomorrow. Seeing your parents?"

"Well my parents are dead so if they showed up tomorrow, I don't know if excitement would be the right word", she replied.

"Guardian, sorry" Eric corrected himself, she stared into thin air and shrugged.

"Don't know. Everyone has their families and their little siblings and a loving family and mine is kind of... I don't know. Ella is great don't get me wrong but, I don't know if she will agree with my choice. I think she envisioned her and I feeding the factionless for the rest of our lives. Me being there for the rest of our lives so she is not alone, and now, I'm not there. I don't think she will come". Eric studied her, taking a seat in front of her.

"She's an idiot if she doesn't come", Eric explained, Emery looked up at him. "She's a fool if she doesn't want to see you, she's missing out on how amazing you have become". Emery smiled. "And you know what else?". Eric smiled quietly but devilishly.

"What?" Emery said with a slight laugh in her words as she looked at Eric's face.

"I don't think I've ever seen you more alive", he stated. His words warmed her stomach and her chest, made her feel valued, verified and important.

"Why are you being so nice?" Emery questioned.

"I can be nice, in small doses". Eric said as he laughed a little. A few moments passed before his face become more serious. "Your parents", he stated suddenly. "You don't talk about them".

"Correct", Emery replied.

"How did they die?" Eric asked, his eyes glimmered with something. It was sort of, a curious, worried expression.

"I don't like talking about it", Emery stated, lying back down as she blinked back tears. Emery didn't allow herself to think about them.

Eric didn't push any further, he just got up and resumed his position on the couch.

***

The night came and went, Emery didn't sleep well and was tossing and turning most of the night. Worried about what tomorrow would bring.

She got up before sunrise, strolling back to the dorms to find something to wear. When she crossed the Chasm, her heart felt like it was in her mouth. She took a few deep breaths and shook her fear away from her.

Molly had been removed from Dauntless, she would be factionless from now on. But two of her attackers still slept in the dormitory and sparred with her, silently plotting against her.

They were faceless to her, just figures hidden behind a black mask. But to them, they were the person they watched and plotted against, perhaps even studying her every move to strike against her next. And she would have no idea.