𝗹𝗼𝗻𝗴 𝘁𝗶𝗺𝗲, 𝗻𝗼 𝘀𝗲𝗲 - 𝗵.𝗿𝗮𝘀𝗼

𝘨𝘦𝘯𝘳𝘦: 𝘧𝘭𝘶𝘧𝘧,      (𝘣𝘪𝘵 𝘴𝘩𝘰𝘳𝘵, 𝘴𝘰𝘳𝘳𝘺)
-----
it had been months since i had had seen hayley in person, we would facetime every day if we could but the time differences were hard to work around. she had signed for real madrid at the end of last season and moved over to spain two months before it started for the preseason.

since our contracts ran out at everton in 2021, both me and hayley had received offers from different clubs. i had a record offer from manchester united and immediately took it. hayley on the other hand, had man city after her to which she agreed. it was easier to see each other then, since we were still in the same city but playing on different sides. now, it was harder, we played in different countries. the season had just ended in england, and in spain, which meant it was world cup time.

i knew i'd been scouted but didn't know if i'd be getting the call up. it was my first world cup in the senior leagues, i played in the under 20s for the last one. i knew that mary earps had gotten the call up for her home team, england, but australia has chosen yet. it was an anxious week of me waiting by my phone every second i could and answering every call, but finally it came.

"hello?"

"hi, is this y/n?"

"yes, it is. who is this?"

"tony gustavsson, coach for the matilda's. how are you y/n?" my heart was beating out of my chest, i was praying that this was good news.

"i'm good tony, what can i help you with?"

"well, i'm calling to give you some good news. you've been called up to represent australia in the world cup." there was a long pause before i responded, i had to let what he said sink in.

"really?"

"absolutely. how does that sound?"

"amazing!" i had let out a sigh of relief when he confirmed it, not wanting to get my hopes up.

"the whole team will fly down to aus next week, i will be emailing you all the details and tickets."

"perfect. thank you so much, tony." i said my goodbyes then hung up, needing to release the excitement i had pent up. the first person i called was hayley. i didn't want her to be upset if she didn't get in, so i asked her if she did first.

"yes, tony called me before you did. i was going to surprise you."

"no need, i got in too!" i heard an excited squeal on the other side and assumed it was hayley.

"actually? you're not kidding?"

"no i'm not joking. i got in." we squealed together in excitement.

——
it was the week after and i was bouncing off the walls of my apartment. mary had come over to help me pack the previous day so i was ready, because there was no way i could manage alone in my current state. i almost forgot my passport, that's how excited i was. mary drove me to the airport and i thanked her then got out. i checked the ticket and figured out which gate i was in. they finally called my flight and i was the first person through the gate. i went through security and finally boarded the plane.

it was almost an 18 hour flight straight to perth so i tried my best to get some rest. i woke up some time later, and figured out what time it was. we still had 8 hours left, so i pulled a book out. i ended up falling asleep for the second time that flight and woke up again right before we landed. safe to say i was well rested.

——
i got of the plane, and into the airport to see a security escort holding a sign with my name. i walked up to them, introducing myself. they took me to the car and we drove to the designated hotel for the matilda's. tony was there when i arrived and i greeted him. "tony, so good to finally see you in person." he smiled back at me. "y/n, yes so good to meet you. here is your room key, just go and put your things in your room. i'll let you know when the whole team is here." i nodded and walked up to my room.

about an hour or two later there was knock on my door and a shout from the other side. "y/n, it's tony. the team is all here, come meet us in the lobby." i yelled back an ok and started getting changed. grabbing out the matilda's issued gear that we'd been given upon arrival i threw it on and raced downstairs. there was a sea of matilda's jerseys in the lobby and tony shouted at us all to get into a meeting room.

we traipsed into the area and it was then that i spotted hayley. she hadn't seen me yet so i decided to sneak up on her. she was talking with sam kerr, who was my idol when i was growing up and now i was playing on the same team as her. i got close enough to them and practically jumped on hayley's back. she almost shrieked before i turned her around and she saw it was me.

"oh my god, Y/N! you're here!" she grabbed me into a hug and i responded in turn. "yea i'm here, couldn't wait to see you again." we spent the rest of the meeting together and then the rest of the day in hayley's room, just spending time together, catching up on everything we missed in the huge amount of time we'd been apart.