𝘄𝗵𝗮𝘁 𝗳𝗿𝗶𝗲𝗻𝗱𝘀 𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝗳𝗼𝗿 - 𝗽.𝗴𝘂𝗶𝗷𝗮𝗿𝗿𝗼

𝘨𝘦𝘯𝘳𝘦: 𝘧𝘭𝘶𝘧𝘧, 𝘴𝘶𝘨𝘨𝘦𝘴𝘵𝘪𝘷𝘦 𝘵𝘩𝘦𝘮𝘦𝘴
(𝘧𝘰𝘳 𝘳𝘦𝘧𝘦𝘳𝘦𝘯𝘤𝘦, 𝘱𝘢𝘵𝘳𝘪 𝘪𝘴 25 𝘢𝘯𝘥 𝘳𝘦𝘢𝘥𝘦𝘳 𝘪𝘴 28)
-----
"she just doesn't understand that i have to do it. travelling is part of my job, it's not a choice!"

patri was sitting on my couch in my living room, ranting about troubles in her relationship. her and clara had been together for almost a year, it had been a mostly smooth romance but now it wasn't so smooth.

"have you told her how you feel?"

i always tried my best to support patri no matter what, she was my best friend, but it was difficult when her and clara became a thing because i also had feelings for patri. i didn't dare say anything, in fear of being the reason they broke up.

"i try, but she always ends up yelling at me or crying." i could tell it was tough on patri, her shoulders sagged and she didn't have the spark in her personality anymore. i bought her into a hug and she melted into my embrace. i could hear small sniffles from her head on my shoulder and i rubbed up and down her back. "i'm here for you, patri. even if you break up."

especially if you break up.

she lifted her head to look at me, a small smile that didn't quite reach her eyes showed on her face. "thank you, y/n. i appreciate it."

"that's what friends are for, nene."

——
i left to go training that morning, my mind filled with thoughts of yesterdays conversation with patri. i had liked her for so long it was hard to imagine what life would be like without her. but i refused to make a move or say anything when she was in a relationship.

when i got to camp nou, there was a couple of fans and paparazzi that hung around the entrance. i simply waved and continue on my way. i put my bags down next to alexia, giving her a hug in acknowledgment. "¿estas bien?" she looked concerned when we pulled apart. "sí, just a little tired." alexia didn't say anything; only a sceptical look on her face. i knew that she knew something was up, and knowing ale, she would try to get to the bottom of it.

we started individual training drills, and then paired up for more. we ended the couple of hours with a scrimmage before everyone peeled off to have a shower. i sat on the benches in the changing rooms, eyes closed, just in my own mind and not really aware of my surroundings. i could hear footsteps and the bench next to me creak, opening my eyes to see alexia looking at me. "no estás bien. what's wrong?"

i knew there was no point in keeping it from her, she's my captain and close friend, she'd figure it out anyway. "patri tells me everything about her and carla, and she keeps talking to me about how they aren't in a good place but all i want to do is kiss her." i was blunt about it, and didn't really know what else to say. alexia was quiet for a second before pulling me to stand in front of her. "go have a shower, i'll take you out and we can talk over coffee."

so i did just that. i showered and ale drove us to a small cafe nearby. i found a table while she ordered for us. "bien. habla."

"i don't know what to say. you know i've liked patri for a while, but i never said anything about it. yesterday she talked to me about their newest problem and we hugged but i want so much more than to be her best friend and therapist." i looked to alexia with pleading eyes, silently begging her to help me.

"just talk to her. if they aren't doing well then just advise her to end it." it was not what i expected alexia to say, i thought she'd have some philosophical quote to spout at me but i think i liked this answer better. "are you sure? i don't want to be the reason they break up, ale." she quirked an eyebrow at me. "you know you won't be. i think patri actually likes you, but she was scared because you were older and more experienced so she found a different girl."

i smiled a little at that. patri, scared? i never thought i'd see the day. alexia continued. "she's only dating carla because she didn't know how to deal with her feelings for you. a relationship of convenience, if you will." i laughed at her play on words at the end. she had somehow made me feel less scared about the whole situation. "thank you ale."

——
i was at home after training the next day, contemplating texting patri to come over. she had a key to my apartment and usually came over by herself anyway but i hadn't seen her since training yesterday, she seemed like she was avoiding me today. instead of getting inside my own head, i thought fuck it, and sent her a message to come over.

in the half hour between sending the text and hearing the doorbell ring, i had thought of a million different situations that could happen. but when i saw patri on the other side of the door i forgot them all. "hola. come in." i knew something was off since she rung the doorbell. she never uses the doorbell. "¿estas bien?" i wanted to make sure she was alright before i threw my feelings at her.

there a small pause before she started tearing up. "i broke up with carla." her voice was small, quiet, very un-patri-like. "oh, mi cariño." i hugged her immediately, cradling her head in the crook of my neck. my heart itself was jumping for joy but crying at the same time. she was single.

we sat together, just holding each other, for what seemed like forever, or at least until patri stopped crying. "do you want to talk?"

"she called me today, after training, and we ended up in another argument. i don't remember what it was about this time. she was yelling and i had enough so i told her it was over." it was short and blunt but to the point. our hands were still interlinked, my thumb rubbing up and down. "i'm so proud of you. i know that sounds weird, but you weren't happy with her and the team could tell. you did what was best for you." i hoped my words were the right ones.

patri looked at me and broke into a smile, the first genuine one i'd seen from her in days. "i'm so glad i had you here with me." she hugged me again, her arms weaving themselves around my waist. my body froze, short-circuited at her touch. i was extremely unsure if i was reading too much into the action. but when we pulled apart patri was closer. she was very close to my face and it took everything in me not to kiss her.

we held eye contact before everything stopped, she leant in and our lips collided. i let her take control of the situation, not wanting to push anything. patri pulled away and her eyes widened at what just happened. "lo siento mucho, i'm so sorry, y/n." it took me a second but i smiled at her surprise. "you have no idea how long i wanted that for."

"¿qué?"

", i've wanted to kiss you for ages." it was almost like a joke to me now, i knew everything was ok and i wasn't afraid to speak my feelings. patri was the opposite, practically a stuttering mess which i never thought i'd see. "patri." i grabbed her hand. "what i'm trying to say is that i like you. i have since before you started dating carla. now you're not, and i'm telling you i like you." i watched as she processed what i'd told her. "¿quieres ser mi novia?" i slowly smiled at her words.

"sí. i would love to be your girlfriend, patri."