iv , dreamcatcher

"my dream is to kill a fellow fishman

"my dream is to kill a fellow fishman."

⚓︎

as nami diligently repaired luffy's damaged straw hat, i took the opportunity to collect some supplies scattered around inside the boat's room. fortunately, i found unused logs of wood and feathers, which meant i could easily craft new arrows.

i searched the room more thoroughly, locating explosives and grappling hooks, and promptly stashed them into my waist bag, which conveniently happened to be lying around.

after settling down on the floor near zoro, i began my task. the floor provided a comfortable workspace for crafting.

out of the blue, zoro asked, "what's your dream?"

i turned to face him, taken aback by the unexpected question. he was leaning against the wall with his eyes closed, appearing oddly contemplative.

"my dream...?" i chuckled, a bit surprised by the question. "it's to kill a fellow fishman."

nami's ears perked up at the mention of fishmen, clearly intrigued.

but zoro's response was different. he simply said, "that's not a dream."

i raised an eyebrow, a little puzzled. "excuse me—"

zoro continued, cutting me off, "that's a goal."

his words hung in the air, and i contemplated them for a moment. he looked at me with a level of seriousness that demanded attention, his eyes still closed.

"a goal, huh?" i finally responded, trying to wrap my head around the distinction he was making. "i suppose you have a point. a dream feels more... grandiose, doesn't it?"

zoro nodded, not opening his eyes. "exactly. dreams are the big picture, the ultimate destination. goals are the steps you take to reach that dream."

nami chimed in from where she was still working on the hat. "so, what's your dream, zoro?"

he opened one eye and smirked. "to become the world's greatest swordsman."

i raised an eyebrow. "isn't that more of a goal?"

zoro chuckled. "maybe. but it's also my dream because it's what drives me. it's what i live for."

"well, i have no idea what my dream is. seems pathetic, doesn't it?"

"it does."

"damn, could've been nicer about it," i grumbled.

zoro, seemingly unfazed by my annoyance, continued, "however, you still have time, time to discover your dream and figure out how to achieve it."

before i could reply to zoro, a new voice chimed in, "you fixed it!" it was luffy. nami had just finished repairing the hat. luffy hadn't paid any attention to our conversation; all he cared about was his precious straw hat and, of course, the one piece.

zoro's gaze shifted to luffy, and he remarked, "is every day going to be this crazy with you?"

luffy grinned, his carefree attitude unwavering. "shanks always said, 'if the path to what you want seems too easy, then you're on the wrong path.'"

"this shanks guy sounds alright." zoro remarked.

luffy enthusiastically walked up to the front deck upon hearing zoro's words and pointed his hand to the endless sea.

"next stop, the grand line!"

i chuckled at his enthusiasm and asked nami, who was standing beside me. "who's he shouting at?"

"he's like that. don't mind him," she replied before entering the room.

"so... zoro," i began, curiosity lacing my voice as i looked at him intently.

zoro hummed thoughtfully, his eyes shifting to meet mine.

"how do i find my dream?" i asked, my tone reflecting the genuine uncertainty i felt.

with a calm and reassuring demeanor, zoro replied, "you don't need to find it. you just know it."

i let out a sigh of frustration, feeling the weight of my uncertainty. "well, i don't know it," i admitted, a hint of frustration creeping into my voice.

zoro's expression remained unperturbed as he spoke with confidence, "you will."

i raised an eyebrow skeptically, my doubt clear in my eyes. "how are you so sure?" i inquired, searching for answers.

a grin tugged at the corner of zoro's lips. "you're with me now," he stated, his tone carrying a hint of pride. "of course, i am."

i couldn't help but chuckle softly at his conviction. "if you say so."

⚓︎

back to nami —

"it's me, you can tell him i have the map." nami ushered in a quiet voice. her mind still wavering about the words of their fellow new crewmate.

"to kill a fellow fishman."

who was this fishman (name) was talking about? it isn't who i think it is, is it?

is it?

⚓︎

syrup village 6 years ago —

a child had washed up on the shores of the syrup village, catching the attention of a young boy who quickly ran to alert the villagers about the approaching pirates, who didn't believe the poor boy.

however, this brave kid, unaware of the potential danger, couldn't resist his curiosity and approached the washed-up child, who appeared to be around the same age.

"are you a pirate?" the young boy asked, his voice trembling with a mixture of fear and fascination.

the washed-up child simply stared at him for a moment before breaking into a mischievous grin, tired eyes staring at the boy. "i'm glad you think of me as one."

the boy, eager for answers, pressed on, "well, are you?"

with a shake of their head, the child replied, "not yet, but i want to be one."

the young boy, intrigued by this mysterious newcomer, finally asked, "what's your name?"

with a confident smile, the child responded, "(name)."

the boy introduced himself as well, saying, "usopp."

present time —

'i sure miss you and your stories, usopp. we'll cross paths again, i'm sure of it.' (name)'s face held a bittersweet smile as they finished making enough arrows for their next battle.

'i'll make sure of it.'