xii , loverboy

"looks like someone's in loveee~"

⚓︎

i lay in my bed, the room bathed in a soft, pinkish hue from the lantern's glow. my bow and arrows were neatly stacked on the armchair next to me, and i couldn't help but fixate on them. the weight of my actions bore down on me as i thought about the countless living creatures i had killed with that bow.

in the past, i hadn't felt guilty about it. each time, there was always a purpose, a reason that justified their demise. but now, as i lay in the semi-darkness, a gnawing doubt crept in. it felt as if i was slowly veering towards a darker path, where the line between necessity and pleasure blurred.

ezer would've been deeply disappointed in what i've become. he was not just a mentor but the one who ignited my journey with a bow. if it weren't for him, i wouldn't have learned the art of archery in the first place. he selflessly helped me develop my skills. i swore an oath to protect my hometown, a promise i failed to keep when i ran away. i can't escape the truth; 

i was a coward. 

i'm haunted by the thought of how different things might have been if i hadn't chosen that path of retreat.

suddenly, the sound of a small pebble hitting the door snapped me out of my thoughts.

"who's there?" i called out, my voice steady despite the creeping unease.

the door handle slowly turned, the creaking sound adding to the eerie atmosphere. i narrowed my eyes, trying to peer through the darkness.

"usopp, i know it's you. come out," i said, my tone a mix of annoyance and lightheartedness.

"aw, come on! you always catch me," usopp whined as he stepped into the light, his pout evident.

i chuckled, "the window contributed a lot, honestly," i said, pointing at the window right in front of the door, showing a very clear reflection of him.

"oh," usopp blinked, rubbing his neck with a shy smile.

"so, what were you up to?" i asked, sliding off the bed and slipping on my shoes from the side.

"on my way to the kitchen, i thought i'd stop by. wanna join?" usopp proposed.

"you know me, always up for a midnight snack! let's go," i replied, grabbing my bow and arrows and fastening my waist bag.

⚓︎

"so, care to explain to me the deal between you and the cabbage-looking dude?" usopp scanned the kitchen for some snacks as i settled into one of the chairs next to the dining table.

"deal? what deal?" i reached for one of the fruits from the basket on the table.

"aw, please, stop pretending like there's nothing going on between you two. he looks at you like a kid with his first balloon. shiver me timbers," usopp said, playfully shivering.