xiv , well mishaps

"at least i made it down in one piece"

⚓︎

"a little to the left! no, wait, right! no, left! actually, a tad to the right—" i found myself perched on a certain green-haired man's shoulders, attempting to aim the grapple hook at the perfect spot.

"what, you want me to twirl around while i'm at it?" zoro retorted, his tone laced with sarcasm.

"i'd actually love to see that—" i eased the tension in my grip on the bow, glancing over at him.

zoro tightened his hold around my thighs, giving it a squeeze.

"sorry."

i took a deep breath.

i had to do this.

i had to get the two of us out of this hellhole.

under the dappled shade of an ancient oak tree, ezer stood beside me. the scent of pine and earth filled the air, mingling with the sound of rustling leaves in the gentle breeze.

"remember, it's not just about strength. It's about focus and precision," ezer said, his voice carrying the wisdom of years spent honing his craft.

"focus and precision," i murmured to myself, my gaze locking onto the target with unwavering determination, seeking out the perfect spot to strike.

i nodded, trying to absorb every word as i struggled to draw back the bowstring. ezer's patience was unwavering, his encouraging smile spurring me on.

"just a little more," he encouraged, his voice like a steady anchor in the tumult of my uncertainty.

i drew back the bowstring, feeling the weight of the grappling hook as it tugged against my grip. it was heavier than expected, especially for my first time handling it. yet, despite the challenge, i persevered and pressed on.

with a final effort, i released the arrow. it sailed through the air, cutting a graceful arc before embedding itself in the target with a satisfying thud.

i finally released the arrow with a steady hand, its flight slicing through the air with a satisfying sound before landing perfectly on target.

"see? you have it in you," ezer said, his eyes sparkling with pride. "you're a natural."

"quite the natural," zoro remarked, his grip slightly loosening as he admired my skill.

"huh? AH—" caught off guard by the sudden lack of support, i tumbled backward onto the dusty floor.

"smooth landing there," zoro quipped, his voice laced with amusement as he extended a hand to help me up, a hint of a smirk playing on his lips.

"hey, at least i made it down in one piece," i retorted with a playful grin, accepting his hand and pulling myself up.