11

Valeria Chambers

I jolted up from my sleep at seven in the morning to Rebecca saying, practically shouting in my ear "VALERIA CHAMBERS WAKE THE FUCK UP. YOU NEED TO GET READY IN HALF AN HOUR FOR YOUR LECTURE."

She pulled the covers away from my body and started pulling at my leg. I groaned in annoyance, still half asleep "just five more minu- woah!"

I fell on the floor before I was dragged halfway through my room, now fully awake "no. Get up now!"

She let go of my leg when she saw me trying to sit up "ouch, you're such a pain in the neck, Becky. That hurt."

She glared at me, throwing her arms at her sides "well I don't see you crying or screaming, I didn't break you. Relax. No actually, don't relax, you still have..." she looked at her phone screen "...twenty five minutes to get ready, I'll give you extra five minutes. But that's it."

I threw my head back with a fake cry before I made my way to my bathroom "I better not see you in my room when I get out or you're not gonna want to deal with angry me."

"Angry you?! I'm supposed to be the angry one here!"

"yeah whatever. Just leave, get ready yourself."

I closed the door behind me with a sigh.

I'm grateful for having her as my best friend, I really am. But sometimes I just want to wake up midday or late in the afternoon. I really like sleeping, but apparently, morning people -like Rebecca- don't.

Even when we were still online friends, she'd call me every single morning to make sure I didn't oversleep. But you know, she was one of the reasons I got this medical scholarship.

I should stop complaining.

Surprisingly, she didn't bring up what happened last night. Probably thinking that I'd talk to her about it some time.

No actually I was not that surprised. I knew she wouldn't push me into talking if I didn't want to.

I'll talk to her, but now is not the time.

I finished everything I needed in the bathroom, wore my clothes, brushed my hair, and packed my small bag which now held my phone, a pen and a notebook along with a bottle of water. All in fifteen minutes.

Set a new record, the fastest time I've ever gotten ready.

I need half an hour to get to university by walking and ten minutes by taking a cab. I still got time, so walking it is.

Rebecca and Jessica didn't have classes this early in the morning, so it was just me today.

Me, my intrusive thoughts, and the nightmare that I had.

No. Not now.

I pushed the thoughts away.

I stepped out into the living room once I was done and saw Jessica sitting on the couch and scrolling through her phone "morning Jessica."

She didn't look at me when she answered bluntly "morning."

I asked her "since when were you here? Is Joelle okay?"

Jessica sighed and looked up at me with a bored expression on her face "last night before you woke the whole neighborhood with your screams. And yes, Joelle will be fine. She'll be discharged in a few hours. She's gonna be at uni today too. Thank you for asking."

"