a resilent deku

The thing about Izuku is he’s resilient. Life dealt him a pretty tough hand, he’s aware of that, but he also knows that he is willing to do whatever it takes to become a hero just like All Might, regardless of his quirklessness and regardless of the fact that he's an omega. 

“How ya gonna be a hero, shitty Deku, you can’t even fight,” Katsuki scoffs at him almost daily as Izuku mumbles and furiously writes in his notebook. 

Izuku has learned that it’s best to just ignore Kacchan, refuse to give him any sort of satisfaction in the form of a response.

“I’m talkin’ to ya nerd. Or can your cute little omega ears not process the words that are comin’ out of my big Alpha mouth?”

Izuku’s mouth works before his mind can catch up with him to tell him not to play into Kacchan’s game, “you think my ears are cute?”

Kacchan splutters, and his face flushes a deep red before he disappears back down the hallway from whence he’d come.

Huh. That’s new. 

-----------

“You made Daddy blush?!” Shinji squeals around a mouthful of ice cream.

“Don’t eat with your mouth full, pup,” Deku says, a warm smile on his face. “And yea, I did.”

Katsuki rolls his eyes at that before pulling his mate into a side hug. “Yea, yea, yea. See, the thing is pup, your Daddy has always had a big fat crush on your Papa,” he says before placing a big, wet kiss on Deku’s cheek.

Deku giggles as he wipes off the evidence of Katsuki’s true, undying love. “Daddy was very much in love, pup, even though he refused to show it.”

“But why did you love him back, Papa? He was so mean to you!”

And damn if hearing that didn’t make Katsuki’s entire chest hurt, because his pup was right, why did Deku love him back? He had no reason to, it’s not like Katsuki had ever been nice to him, he just --

“Keep listening, pup. I promise it’ll all make sense,” Deku promises before launching into the next part of the story, the little nerd’s eyes alight as if he were remembering the shit like it were yesterday.

----------

Before Izuku knows it, the UA entrance exam is upon him, and though he tries his very best not to show it, he is freaked out.

Not only were omegas encouraged to stay home and be perfect little house wives, but they were also still seen as weak and incapable of doing real hero work, hence why there were barely any omega heroes, and the ones that were present, never ranked high on the hero ratings and were always dedicated to rescue missions and calming victims and civilians, and not to mention Izuku is quirkless. The odds were very heavily stacked against him.

But then something unexpected happens. A sludge monster attacks the city and Kacchan gets attacked and something inside Izuku just snaps and he launches himself at the monster to get to Kacchan because...because...because well… honestly, Izuku’s not really sure why, he just knows that as soon as he saw Kacchan struggling inside all that sludge, as soon as he saw fear in those red eyes, he moved. Without thinking, without a plan, without realizing what was even happening, he just moved . It was instinctual.

And the sad thing is, once Izuku realizes what’s happening, he never once even thinks about turning back or running away in fear or doing anything that would get him to safety and not make things potentially worse for Kacchan, all he’s focused on is his childhood friend, struggling, with fear in his eyes, something Izuku’s never actually seen displayed by Kacchan before. And for all intents and purposes, this little heroic stunt should end up with both teenagers consumed by the sludge monster.

Izuku’s lucky though, because not more than a moment goes by before All Might appears and defeats the sludge monster, freeing himself and Kacchan.

And obviously Izuku is starstruck, and Kacchan’s too angry about what happened to even stick around but Izuku and All Might get to talking, and of course Izuku knows he’s going to get lectured about acting without a plan, getting in the way of real heroes and overall disrupting a crime scene, but that’s not what happens.

Instead, All Might tells him about how heroic he acted, about what a good hero he’d make and then he talks to Izuku about his quirk.

Izuku is too flabbergasted to really respond, like, a quirk that’s passed down from person to person that learns and grows as it interacts with different other quirks?! What are the odds! His mind is moving a mile a minute to process the information All Might’s bestowed upon him that he barely even catches the part where All Might asks him to be his successor. 

Wait, All Might wants him to be his successor?!

--------

“What’s a suss-- a suss-- a sussesser?” Shinji asks sleepily.

It’s way past their pup’s bedtime and the ice cream shop is beginning to close, so Katsuki gathers their empty bowls and returns them to a teenaged employee who is not so subtly making eyes at him that he and his family should get the fuck out, all while listening as Deku explains what a successor is to their five year old.

He returns only to scoop a half asleep Shinji into his arms as they head back to their car.

Katsuki’s buckling an almost knocked out Shinji into his carseat when he asks, “so what happens next?” around a big, big yawn.

Izuku chuckles, reaching over the console to give Shinji a forehead kiss and says, “well, some way, somehow, I end up passing the UA entrance exam.”

“You do?!”

“Yep, that’s right. I do. And so I get to go to school with your knucklehead Daddy,” Izuku says, playfully nudging a sleepy eyed Kacchan, “and start learning how to be a pro hero.”

“So cool!” Shinji yawns. “And then what?”

“Well, you get some rest pup, and tomorrow I’ll tell you all about my first day of classes, mmk?”

“Mmk,” yawns the pup before he finally succumbs to sleep.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Word count: 1037