Do tell

“HE ERASED YOUR QUIRK MAMA?!” 

Izuku giggles, hiding his smile behind a scarred hand as their pup looks outraged, ready to march over to UA himself and talk to this Aizawa-sensei.

“That’s not fair!”

“It’s ok pup, he just didn’t want me to hurt myself is all,” Izuku explains calmly.

Shinji crosses his arms over his chest with a little harrumph and Izuku smiles to himself as Katsuki tries and fails to stifle his laughter behind a cough. They make eye contact over Shinji’s head and just smile at each other, basking in the presence of their adorable pup.

“So… Did you get e-e-espelled, Mama?”

Izuku smiles softly, “no pup. I didn’t.”

“How come?!!”

“Hey, why don’t you listen to the story, huh Shinji? I’m invested now, let your Mama finish it ok?” Katsuki tries, giving Shinji a pointed eyebrow raise that his pup meets head on with a deep furrowing of his identical blond brows.

“Shhh meanie Daddy, let Mama tell the story!”

Izuku can’t help but fall into laughter at that, doubling over and laughing at the stupid expression on Katsuki’s face as he splutters, mouth opening and closing, “But I --”

“It’s ok, Kacchan, just listen,” Izuku says, patting his mate’s cheek before continuing the story.

 ------------

“What do you think happens in the real world, Midoriya? You can’t just ruin your body every time you use your quirk. You don’t belong here. The examiners may have let you in, through failed logic, but you’ll never make it here with a quirk like that.”

Izuku can feel the hot sting of tears at the corner of his eyes, can feel the way his throat tightens up as he tries to resist the urge to cry. He feels like he made it to the top of the tallest mountain in the world only to be told it was all for nothing because there’s a bigger, taller, scarier mountain in front of him that he just doesn’t have the ability to climb.

It’s not fair. Being quirkless wasn’t fair, and getting a quirk that his body is too weak to use seems even less fair, like the stars could only align for just a moment to give him an amazing opportunity only for them to die out and disappear in the evening sky when thing’s really mattered.

Izuku lets out a shaky exhale, as Aizawa gives him another softball and tells him to go ahead, throw again, but how much use is he if he can’t even make it through the rest of the exam?

Izuku takes another deep breath. This is a really shitty situation he’s found himself in, but it’s a chance. A chance to prove himself. But how? How is he going to throw this ball as far as he possibly can whilst using his quirk and not breaking every single bone in his body? There’s gotta be a way, right?

Izuku looks down into his hand, stares at the softball, his thumb catching on the ridges of the stitching as he recalls All Might’s words from the day prior.

He’d had Izuku come up with a metaphor for how using One For All felt inside his body, but all Izuku had come up with was the image of an egg inside a microwave. 

“It’s kind of boring, but I guess it’ll do,” All Might had said. “You need to lower the cooking time, or turn down the wattage of the microwave, young Midoriya.”

Easier said than done , Izuku had thought in the moment. But… then again, maybe All Might had been on to something. Maybe… maybe there’s a way for him to use One For All without breaking every single bone in his entire body.

Izuku takes another deep, calming breath. He has an idea. It could go very wrong or it could go very right, all that matters now is that he gives it his all and he tries.

He winds up again, he thinks about that egg in the microwave, and he focuses on keeping One for All reigned in as he winds up, and he waits till the very last minute, when he can feel the softball still connected to his hand by only the tip of his pointer finger, and at the very last second, he sends all of One for All through his fingertip and the ball flies .

It goes up, up, up into the air and then pain . Shooting pain down his finger, because it’s broken, limp and purple and bruised and Izuku has to grit his teeth to keep from crying out and he can see the uncomfort in his classmate’s eyes at the scent of distressed Omega permeating through the air, but none of that matters because he did it.

He’d thrown the ball a good 705 meters. Farther than he’d ever thrown a ball in his life. 

His eyes fill with tears and he clutches his hand to his chest, finger limp and lifeless, but he turns to Aizawa with a determined, steady gaze.

“See, Aizawa-sensei? I didn’t break all my bones this time.”

-

-----

Over the course of the next month, Izuku lulls Shinji to sleep, waxing poetic about their time at UA, but never sugarcoating it or even giving Katsuki’s bad behavior any inkling of an out, no, he gives Shinji nothing but the cold hard truth. And sometimes it’s hard to witness, especially during the parts of the story that are harder for Kaccahn to hear from Izuku’s point of view, but they get through it together, and eventually Kaccahn’s able to chime in, when they finally reach the part where Katsuki apologizes. 

---------

“Oh shit yea, I do remember that. I took over for a little bit, huh? Told our little squirt about that time I apologized to you?” Katsuki asks.

“Yup, that’s right! That’s why I was so confused that you’d forget about it. It took us a whole month to get through the story, Kacchan! How do you forget all that?”

Katsuki just shrugs in response, laughing as Izuku bristles at his nonchalance. Stupid knot head Alpha.

“Yeah, well, I remember now, is what I’m trying to say.” 

Izuku rolls his eyes, “you do, huh? So then what happens next, Kacchan? Do tell!”
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Word count: 1046