I'm sorry

“Well Shinji, today’s story is a doozy,” Katsuki starts off, cracking his knuckles as he saunters over to the pup’s bed and climbs in while Deku takes a seat across from them at Shinji’s desk that isn’t really adult-sized, but Deku makes it work anyway. 

“Tell the story, Daddy!” Shinji encourages excitedly, ready to hear what happens next.

Katsuki smiles at him softly, before taking a deep breath, and launching into the story of that fateful day at Ground Beta.

--------------------

Fighting. That’s all Katsuki knows when it comes to conflict resolution. Growing up there was never any talking it out, no discussion of feelings, no family meetings, no tears, no fucking bullshit. Just words to yell and things to break. This culminated in Katsuki expressing his emotions differently than others.

Like for instance, growing up, he picked on Deku not only because he was quirkless and an omega but because he smelled so fucking nice and Katsuki didn’t understand the intense gravitational pull he felt towards him, so he did what he always did with feelings he didn’t understand. He fights them off. Aggressively. He pushes Deku away and stamps his feelings so far down that they’ll never see the light of fucking day.

But that day at Ground Beta is different. Somehow, Katsuki’s not sure why, but it’s different. He’s different, Deku’s different. After he finds out the truth about Deku’s quirk, a quirk he’d assumed Deku had been hiding from him in another effort to prove to Katsuki that he thinks he’s better than him, he fucking loses it.

It’s not fair. It’s not fucking fair that a stupid, useless, quirkless omega gets to be All Might’s successor. And why is that? Katsuki looked up to All Might just as much as Deku and yet somehow he wasn’t worthy? Somehow this quirkless omega who was always running after him growing up, always trying to be his fucking friend, always trying to play heroes even though he was half Katsuki’s size, somehow he’s the one All Might chose.

It hurts. And to add insult to injury, Katsuki’s the reason All Might even needs a successor. He’s the reason All Might was hurt in the first place, if it weren’t for him getting kidnapped by those fucking villains none of this would’ve fucking happened in the first place. Katsuki killed the Symbol of Peace and he’s fucking heartbroken over it.

And  Deku thinks there’s any way for them to move past this without fucking fighting? Fat fucking chance.

“Kacchan, we don’t have to do this,” Deku tries, pumping calming omegan pheremones into the air that only serve to piss Katsuki off more.

Katsuki feels at his goddamn breaking point listening to Deku try to get out of this, he feels his palms sweat, can feel stupid stubborn tears pricking at the corners of his eyes because he’s losing his fucking shit right now and he feels so fucking belittled staring at Deku, surrounded by large, abandoned buildings.

“We both looked up to him, but he chose you. He chose you, a quirkless fucking omega, to be his successor. And I can’t for the life of me understand why. We both fucking looked up to him–”

“Kacchan, please –”

“Shut the fuck up, Deku. Show me why he fucking picked you, show me what he saw in you because I just can’t fucking understand!” Katsuki growls, palms sparking with explosions, voice shaking with the sheer anger he feels. “We both admired him, and yet he chose you to be his sidekick. You were always so far behind me growing up and somehow you became All Might’s favorite?”

“Kacchan –”

“And my admiration means nothing, huh? Because I’m the one that ruined him, right? You get to be All Might’s shining star, his perfect little successor weildling his fucking quirk, and I’m the reason he had to retire,” Katsuki’s voice breaks, tears finally rolling freely down his cheeks. “If those villains hadn’t kidnapped me he’d still be –” Katsuki gasps out, his throat constricting around a sob. 

And that must be the moment Deku finally gets what this is about, because in the blink of an eye he’s there, wrapping his arms tight around Katsuki, body sparking green with One for All to hold him as he struggles to get out of Deku’s grip.

Eventually Katsuki calms, wrapped in Deku’s scent, the smell of pine needles and a hint of lavender calming his body down before he gets a chance to resist the omega’s pull.

“It’s not your fault, Kacchan,” Deku soothes as Katsuki cries in his arms, his frame shaking and his sparking palms falling limply at his side.

“I’m sorry,” Katsuki whispers brokenly into Deku’s shoulder, probably getting snot all over his stupid t-shirt.

This would become the first of many apologies Katsuki gives Deku over the next two weeks. They’re grounded after the spat at Ground Beta, even though they squashed the actual fighting pretty quickly, they still were out past curfew and had to have Aizawa retrieve them. They use the time to catch up, to talk to each other, to mend broken wounds and they end up becoming proper rivals because of it.

It takes Katsuki another couple weeks after that to come to terms with his feelings for Deku and to actually ask him the fuck out, but he does, and for some inconceivable reason, Deku says yes.

They court through the rest of their time at UA, and when they graduate, naturally, they become hero partners and are dubbed the Wonder Duo by the public. Together they rally for omega rights and smash any and every stereotype about their second gender into dust.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Word count: 950