Chapter 44

June 15, 2019

Cruel Summer- Taylor Swift

School was finally over. Hurray! The last two weeks were simply filled with final exams. Boring as always. Once I had dropped the kids off at their houses, I made my way to your house. I was going to spend the next month as much as I possibly can with you before you move 1,022 miles away for college. At this point, dad had told me the garage door passcode and I could come over any time. You didn't know that I knew the passcode, so once I got out of my car and made my way inside through the garage, you greeted me like I was dad.

"Hey dad! You're home early." you greeted as you scrolled through your phone, standing with your back facing me by the kitchen counter.

"I'm a little too young to be a dad." I joked as you turned around.

You gave me a confused look, probably questioning how I got in the house when I didn't have a key. I laughed at your reaction as you continued to look at me in surprise and confusion, while I pet Marley.

"How the fuck? What in the Harry Potter?"

"Dad told me the garage code like a week ago." I answered before you pulled into a hug.

You just nodded as I continued to laugh at your reaction. You mumbled something that I couldn't decipher, but I left it alone. I stood by the counter as you walked around trying to find some snacks to munch on.

"I still can't believe mom got you a hockey UND hoodie." you mumbled as you lifted up onto the kitchen counter.

"It's cute."

"Mhmm... wrong sport though." you say as you munched on some popcorn you found in one of the cabinets.

We simply talked about plans over the summer and munched on some popcorn as you moved to stand between my legs.

"Let's spend all summer together. Well, all the summer time that I have." you suggested as you wrapped your arms around my waist, looking up at me.

"You'd get bored of me so quick."

"I could never." you defended as I smiled and wrapped my arms around your shoulders.

"Whatever you want."

That was my plan anyways. Spend as much time as possible with you before seeing you off to college. I'll dread the day. The day consisted of us just spending time together, talking about anything and everything as we lazed around. We'd go from laying on the couch to laying on the grass in the backyard with Marley running around. Your parents were at work while your brothers were off hanging out with their friends, we had the entire day with one another.

"Let's go inside and watch a movie." I suggested as I sat up.

"I'm gonna take a shower first. C'mon."

We both got up and made our way inside. I stood by the door to get Marley inside as you went upstairs.

"I'll meet you in my room!" you yelled as you walked up the stairs and I shut the backdoor.

Once I made sure Marley had water and food, I grabbed some water bottles and the popcorn we had before and went upstairs to your room. I set everything down on your bedside table before grabbing the remote and turning on your TV. As I turned on the TV, I saw another two picture frames next to the one before on your desk. I threw the remote on the bed to take a closer look at the pictures. As soon as I picked them up, a smile grew on my face. It was another one of us. One was when I had handed you the roses after your graduation. I didn't know that there was a picture of us. You looked down at me with a big smile as I smiled up at you in the picture. I looked so in love and happy to simply be included. The other picture was of me putting your bow tie on for prom. You were grinning down at me as I put the bow tie on you.