Chapter 69

June 10, 2020

The night we met- Lord Huron

Cardigan- Taylor Swift

It was a normal Wednesday. I was just lazing around in bed as I scrolled through TikTok. You told me you were off doing some training with the boys. I believed that until you randomly showed up to my house with food.

"Picnic?" You smiled as I laughed. I went to quickly change out of my sleep attire before we were off to the park. We ate and talked as we sat in the shade, looking at the lake.

"I'm gonna buy a house by the waters one day." I mumbled.

"I know you will. If not, I'll build it for you.'

"I don't think I trust you enough to build my house for me, Rooster." I laughed as you faked offense. We stayed there talking about what we think we'd be doing 10 years from now. All I wanted was a quiet and peaceful life without financial worries to be honest. I hoped that I had settled down by then at 28 years old with a few dogs, maybe kids too, living in a big house with a beautiful porch and big backyard for the dogs and my little nieces to run around whenever they come over. Hopefully, I got to settle down with Chris Evans or Jungkook from BTS or something. I hoped that maybe that could be you, just maybe. You had hoped that you somehow got into the big leagues for football. Very on brand for you. You wanted to live a quiet life too, somewhere warmer.

"If you had wanted somewhere warmer, you should've just committed to a university in Florida or something." I joked. You said that you didn't want to be so far from home. We continued to talk and simply enjoyed each other's presence when we ran out of things to say. Sooner or later, you got up and answered a phone call. I didn't mean to eavesdrop, but it was hard when you were pretty loud.

"Sofia, stop. I told you we'd talk about it later."

Hearing that made my heart drop . When did you guys get back together for the fourth time? What the absolute fuck. You eventually hung up the call and made your way back over to me as I pretended that I didn't know who you were talking to.

"Who was it?"

"It was just Donnie asking where I was." Lie.

"I thought you were with him this morning? You said you left your brothers hanging in the field to come here." I continued to question to see if you'd lie again.

"Oh. No, he just thought I went home or something and he just got home and didn't see my car." Another lie.

"Why are you lying to me?" I retorted as your eyes widened.

"It was Sofia, wasn't it? When did you two even get back together?" I say like it didn't break my heart for the fourth time. I wasn't in the position to be mad at you. I was the one that said yes to being friends again.

"A few days after you left for Florida."

You two had gotten back together over a month ago. Your toxic cycle started with her again just like ours was going to.

"Drive me home, Theo." I said as I got up and went back to the car. I should've taken my own car. We were just talking about what we wanted to do 10 years from now to have tension between us and it wasn't the good tension. You knew what she was gonna say if she found out that we were still friends. She never liked me and you knew it, so you can't keep the both of us in the dark forever. It felt like I was the other woman, when I was the first.

The car ride back to my house was silent. I didn't say anything neither did you. The only thoughts that were running through my head was how am I going to end our cycle completely and not break so many hearts along the way.