CHAPTER NINETEEN

CHAPTER NINETEEN
Juliette

When I got into work the following Monday, I found Ashley in her office working over some documents. I could tell she was concentrating hard, cause she didn't notice me until I was stood right in front of her desk.
"Morning Jewel. What can I do for you?" She smiled at me over the top of her paperwork, gesturing for me to take a seat.
I took her invitation and placed myself in the armchair opposite her own desk chair, laying my work portfolio out on an inch of desk space that wasn't taken up by papers and stationery.
"Morning. Is now a good time to talk?"
Ashley let out a deep sigh. "Yeah, just looking over the merger contract again. What did you want to talk about?"
"Actually," I cleared my throat. "I wanted to talk about just that."
"What do you want to know?" I'd gained her full attention, Ashley turned her mobile over on her desk, so the screen was flat against it, stopping any outside distractions coming in.
Taking a deep breath, I came straight out with it. "Will I get to keep my job?"
"Jewel, of course you will!"
I sagged with relief.
"I had it written into the contract, full job retention for all current staff. So, either way, if I sign this thing" She picked up the thick contract then threw it back down on the table, it made a satisfying bang as it connected with the table top. "Or if I don't. You get to keep your job either way."
"Thank you, I really appreciate it."
"Jewel," Ashley leaned over to me, both her elbows resting on her desk. "You are very good at what you do. You have a job here for as long as you want one. Was that all you were worried about?"
Ashley knew me well, which meant she knew what was going on at home too. I'd mentioned the drug trials in America that my mum wanted for Milo, I'd also mentioned the £20,000 we'd need to find to fund it. Keeping my job was vital to keeping my family afloat, it was also vital to keeping my brother alive.
"I just really aren't in a place where I can lose my job as you know, so after the absolute shock of finding out about you and Frankie Truman, the realisation dawned on me that there my be ramifications to this merger."
"Tell me about it!" Ashley huffed, picking up her pen and methodically clicking the end of it. "The Trumans are really riding my ass."
We both looked at each other for a second, before bursting into laughter.
"Not literally, I'd like to clarify." She giggled. "On a cheerier note, I have some good news for you." Reaching into the top drawer of her desk, she found a manila folder and threw it at me.
Catching it between both hands, I pulled out the piece of paper inside and inspected it.
It was the printed rendering of my Gala jewellery design proposal; I looked up at her confused.
"The bids yours Juliette, that's a really great design. Teddy can start working on it right away."
I jumped up from my seat and ran around the desk to her, flinging my arms around her neck and squealing in her ear. "Thank you. Thank you. Thank you!" I planted a kiss on the top of her head before she pushed me off, laughing as she did it.
"Let's hope someone likes it at the auction and it raises a shit load of money, I'm sure it will." Ashley's phone suddenly buzzed as she spoke, picking it up and turning it over, she read the screen and frowned. "My final contract negotiation meeting is in half an hour at Truman HQ."
I'd already walked back around the desk, picked up my portfolio and the necklace design, and was heading for the door when Ashley called after me.
"Hey, you know how you could thank me for picking your design?"
When I turned back to face her, she was wearing her sweet angelic face, the face she made when she wanted something. I dreaded what was about to pop out of her mouth.
"You could come with me and help me negotiate; I could really use someone else on my side in there. I'll be outnumbered."
"Will Elliot be there?" If that wasn't the elephant in the room, I didn't know what was.
Ashley shot me a frown, then scrunched her lips up like she was in pain. That was all the answer I needed. "He's one of the Sons in Truman & Sons, he kind of has to be there."
I'd vowed I'd never see his face again, the second I left Frankie's party. But the way Ashley was pouting at me, I knew I'd break that vow to help her and the business.
"Okay, I'll come. But only if I get it written into the contract that we all get a pay rise." I was only half joking, but Ashley shot up from her desk triumphantly and grabbed her coat from the back of her chair.
"Okay, lets go negotiate you some more money Miss St. James."

It was only a 15-minute taxi journey from the store to Truman & Sons HQ, city traffic had been kind to us as we zipped through the streets. Ashley filled me in on some points she figured would come up in the negotiation, like the fact they wanted to incorporate their company name into the new stores they proposed to open and how they were pushing for one of their corporate bigwigs to come in and take over management. They wanted to move Ashley into a regional manager role and away from the store, because they didn't like the idea of Ashley continuing to manage a full team that consisted of her friends and her family.
"But Goulding Jewellers is a family business. Truman & Sons is literally a family business! How can they not like that its run by family and friends?" I'd frustratedly asked as we jumped out of the taxi.
Ashley shrugged. "Beats me, its very much do as I say and not as I do with the Trumans."
When we made it into the grand lobby of the office building, a petite blonde girl in a slick grey pencil skirt and white blouse met us at the reception desk and took our jackets. Her name badge let me know she was called Jenny.
"Do you have appointment?" Jenny asked, gesturing to a plush leather couch and armchair set in the corner of the room.
"Yes, Goulding Company to see Mr Truman at 10am." Ashley stated confidently, hitching her paperwork she was cradling in her arms higher on her hip. I flashed her an amused smile, I felt like we were on an episode of Suits, with all the businesswomen and men dipping in and out through the lobby around us. They were all so smartly dressed, it made me look down at my own lacking outfit. I'd gone for a wide sleeve burnt orange blouse, a bit too loud for an impromptu business meeting, and the pair of linen white trousers I'd stolen from Elliot's wardrobe. In hindsight, they weren't the best choice either, considering I was about to come face to face with their previous owner. But they'd fast become my favourite work trousers, plus, Elliot had so many clothes in that closet I hardly thought he'd notice.
Jenny the receptionist flashed us a great smile as we sat, "I'll go let Mr Truman know you're here, can I get you anything to drink?"
"A glass of water would be great, thanks." My mouth was starting to dry up, the impending doom of seeing Elliot again making my throat want to close up.
Ashley shook her head no, then when Jenny was out of earshot, she turned to me and let out a huge breath.
"This is crazy right?" She asked me excitedly. I wasn't sure if she was talking about the building, cause it really was crazy how lavish it was. Or crazy that we were there, about to go head-to-head with some ruthless businessmen.
A sudden thought dawned on me. "Shouldn't you have lawyers here or something?"
"I won't need them. This isn't really a negotiation." Ashley shot me a wink. "If they don't give me what I'm asking for in this meeting, I'm not signing that contract. I've already had my lawyer look over the small print."
Tenacious Ashley Goulding, it was a sight to behold.
Jenny came shuffling back over, a pristine looking glass of iced water in her hand. "Mr Truman is ready for you both. You're in meeting room 7 on the 16th floor, lift is to your left."
I took the glass from her hand, gave her a thankful smile, then we headed to our doom.

The meeting room was sleek, not that I expected anything less. An oval glass table sat in the centre, it was so polished the reflection of the skyscrapers surrounding Truman HQ reflected off its surface from the window. Perfectly positioned around the table were 10 blue conference chairs. It made my brain itch, thinking about how many people were going to be in the meeting with us. I should have asked Ashley for more information on the meeting.
Dragging my fingers down the condensation of the glass, I watched as Ashley adjusted the way she was sat in the seat beside me. She went from ankles crossed to one ankle resting on her knee, back to both heeled feet rested firmly on the hard wood floor. It was the first inkling she'd given that she was as nervous as I was.
I was about to open my mouth to speak when the sound of the conference room door clicked open. There, stood in the doorway, was an impeccably dressed Frankie.
Not the Truman we were expecting.
We both let out a sigh of relief.
"Hello Miss Goulding," Frankie shot Ashley a friendly lopsided grin, a stark contrast to how formal he was dressed, then grazed his newly turned primal eyes down the length of her body. He was so obvious, it made me a notch uncomfortable.
He managed to pull his lusty gaze away until softer eyes landed on me. "And Miss St. James. I wasn't expecting you."
Likewise.
I gave Frankie an apologetic shrug as the heels of his expensive dress shoes clicked against the floor, walking towards us with an outstretched hand.
He got to Ashley first, leaning over and taking her hand into a formal shake. "You're late." She quipped, smirking at him as she returned his handshake.
"Apologies, I had other business to attend." He shifted his body across the table and shook my hand, before taking a seat opposite us. Ashley pulled out the thick contract and placed it on the table, not skipping a beat before she dived straight into appendix 6, paragraph 3.
It felt like a game, like we were a bunch of kids playing pretend in the school playground. I was too busy chuckling to myself about the thought that I didn't even hear the door latch go again.
Following in the wake of his brother was Elliot.
Fuck.
He looked as handsome as always, dressed in a perfectly tailored charcoal grey suit with a black button-down shirt. When he saw me, he froze and assessed me cooly.
Wasn't I supposed to be the one pissed off with him?
He was on the phone as he strode further into the room, walking swiftly past as he stared out to the city and spoke down into the handset. I was trying to concentrate on what Frankie and Ashley were saying next to me, but I was too captivated by Elliot and the way he moved. He'd begun to prowl the perimeter of the board room like a panther, his voice was terse and demanding as he barked orders to the invisible person on the other end of his call.
"No, that's not good enough." He huffed, stopping when his back was fully turned to us and he was facing out of the large floor to ceiling window. Master of his universe once again.
 "Fire them. Yes all of them. I have to go, I have another meeting."
Elliot peered at us over his shoulder before ending his call and slipping his phone back into the pocket of his jacket. He then proceeded to walk the length of the table and take the seat next to his brother. Opposite me.
It felt like the worst and most awkward double date in the world, the four of us sat across the table from each other.
"Apologies, I hope I haven't missed too much." He'd reverted to not looking at me at all, instead he flashed Frankie a frosty stare, clearly annoyed that the meeting had started without him.
"Not at all." Frankie seemed unaware of his brother's bad mood, his face not turning from Ashley for a second. "Miss Goulding was just discussing her concerns regarding another store manager being appointed in the merger."
Elliot didn't falter, his arms rested flat on the glass tabletop and his hands clasped together in front of him. He looked calm and collected. Truly in his element. "I see, I'm happy to discuss further why we think this is the best move, Miss Goulding."
Ashley cleared her throat before she spoke. "Please call me Ashley, I think we're beyond formalities."
"That's an understatement." I muttered under my breath, forgetting myself. Three sets of eyes quickly found themselves to me. My breath hitched in my throat, nobody said a word as I took a quick gulp of my water. I thought I caught the glimpse of a smirk from Ashley in the corner of my eye, but I didn't dare look up to confirm it.
Eventually, the conversation found itself again, and my misdemeanor was gone but not forgotten. I sank lower in my seat, wishing I'd never agreed to come to the meeting at all.