CHAPTER THIRTY-FIVE

CHAPTER THIRTY-FIVE
Juliette

Elliot picked me up the next afternoon to take me to his parents' house, dressed immaculately in a pair of navy slacks and crisp white shirt.
He was surprisingly relaxed, his eyes focused on the road as he gently tapped his fingers on the steering wheel to the music I'd selected for the journey – something calm and soothing to settle my own nerves.
I was a bundle of weird energy, as we slipped out of the city and towards the more rural villages about an hour away from the bustling place we called home, every nerve ending of my body was on high alert.
The green silk of my dress constricted around my torso as I fidgeted in the car seat, going from ankles crossed to legs stretched out to knees tucked together. I just couldn't keep still whilst thinking about the prospect of meeting Elliot's family. It wasn't the usual 'meet the boyfriends parents' situation, because Elliot wasn't really my boyfriend, and soon they would think I was going to be their daughter-in-law, then I actually would be their daughter-in-law.
Would they find me lacking? Would they be happy or sad when Elliot eventually told them we were separating.
That was too much.
My chest tightened as I took a few shaky breaths, I was getting ahead of myself. We hadn't even got to dinner yet and I was already planning the messy divorce of mine and Elliot's fake marriage.
Besides, I'd met Elliot's mother before, she was kind and seemed to like me well enough, so that should make me feel somewhat better. Plus, Ashley was going to be there at dinner too, someone I knew liked me...
"You're going to worry yourself to death," Elliot placed a hand gently on my knee, bringing me away from my tangent and back into the car. He patted my leg before placing his hand back securely on the steering wheel. "You have nothing to worry about Juliette."
"How did you know I was worrying?" I tried for nonchalant, but my shaky voice gave me away.
He didn't look over, but his lips turned up in a crooked smile. "Call it a hunch."
Puffing out a long and drawn out breath, I watched out of the window as residential streets turned into farmers' fields and country lanes, a blood orange sun setting in the distance. I only looked up again when my phone buzzed in my gold clutch bag; it was a text from my mum.

Mum: All went well with Milo's appointment. Dr. Alcaster is going to help book the trip to America.
Mum: Good luck tonight, they will love you xo

I'd told my mum I was meeting Elliot's family for the first time, she had been excited for me but a little jealous that his family were getting the first family dinner with the both of us together.
I quickly typed out a reply as I remembered to invite Elliot to the meal for my birthday the following week.
"What are you doing next Saturday?" I asked.
Elliot's eyebrows knitted together as he angled his chin in my direction. "On your birthday? Nothing I can think of without checking my calendar, why?"
I was shocked he'd remembered it was my birthday, but I kept my expression casual. "Would you like to come out for dinner and meet my family?"
Part of me wanted him to say no, because bringing someone into my family was a big deal, and I didn't want them to get attached. We already had so much to deal with beside them welcoming a man into their lives that was only there due to a business contract - and would eventually leave.
But the other part of me, the less rational one, was enjoying being in his company. Especially when he was in good spirits like he had been recently.
When Elliot didn't reply to my offer straight away, I felt like I had to continue explaining to fill up the silence. "We're going to a restaurant to celebrate my birthday and my mum really wants to meet you... I can't imagine why."
Elliot's expression darkened as he flitted his eyes between me and the road. "I'm a catch, Miss St. James. You said it yourself, there are a million women out there who would jump at the chance to be with me, you should consider yourself lucky." His voice was laced with humour as he threw my own words back at me, the low sun casting his face in a warm fuzzy glow through the windscreen.
I rolled my eyes at him, confident he couldn't see me do it. "Of course, Mr Truman. I'd count my blessings but I'm crap at maths." I chirped sarcastically.
Elliot chuckled under his breath but didn't say anything more.
"So?" I prompted. "Will you come?"
"Sure, I'll have to meet your family eventually."
"Okay."