CHAPTER FOURTY-SEVEN

Juliette

Carol handed me another glass of champagne, my fourth of the night already.
She tapped the rim of her own glass to mine, then to Ashley's, before toasting a cheers and knocking back a few big gulps of the expensive Cristal.
"Thank you so much again for throwing me a party." I gushed, feeling truly loved by my friends.
Ashley took a sip of champagne, looking as elegant as always. "You're welcome, although I don't think I can take all the credit. Elliot's assistant helped, so did Elliot a little."
"Elliot's bank account helped; you mean." Carol added.
I batted her arm, trying but failing to look annoyed at her.
"What? Its no secret that the Truman's are richer than God." Carol gestured around the apartment, like its grandeur was more than enough evidence to solidify her statement.
"Even richer than that." Ashley agreed.
"How are you and Frankie getting on?" I asked, genuinely curious.
The shy smile and warm blush that crept up on Ashley's face was all the answer I needed. She'd got it bad, it was a delight to see.
Carol rolled her eyes, "That good huh?"
She nodded yes. "Frankie is..."
Her voice trailed off, her eyes glazing over slightly as she searched for him in the room. He was sat on the sofa with Teddy hovering over his phone, watching some sport they were missing whilst at the party.
"I'm happy that you're happy." I said softly.
"Me too." Carol seconded. "Although, I am a little miffed that I don't have a Truman for myself." She crossed her arms over her large chest, narrowing her eyes at us with mock envy.
Ashley and I laughed in unison, but my laugh felt a little hollower.
I didn't have a Truman, not really. Not for keeps, anyway.
"How are you and everyone's favourite sociopath getting on?" Ashley screwed her face up, not attempting to hide her dislike of Elliot.
I shrugged, always unsure how to act when anyone asked me about him.
Carol widened her eyes at me. "You have to give me more than that! I'm living vicariously through the both of you!"
"You don't talk much about him Jewel, everything okay?" Ashley prodded, her light eyes searching mine for answers.
It was no secret Ashley was not a fan of Elliot, I knew she was holding back on her opinion of him until I gave her some insight into our relationship.
I thought about things I could say, false lovesick stuff or lies about our whirlwind romance. But I was tired of lying to the people I loved, so I told the truth.
Well, as close to the truth as I could without breaking the NDA.
"There are times when he makes me feel dizzy from his mood swings, it's all high peaks and low valleys with him. Sometimes, I don't even know if he really likes me."
"Of course he likes you!" Carol protested, almost spilling her champagne as she threw her hands up in the air.
Even Ashley agreed with her. "You'd have to be blind to not see how into you he is. He's constantly watching you with come to me eyes." She darkened her look, mimicking how she thought Elliot looked at me.
"He is not!" I protested, unable to hold back my laugh.
"Oh yeah?" Ashley cocked her hip, pointing her chin in the direction behind me. "Then why is he over there smouldering like a tyre fire?"
I followed her gaze to the spot where Elliot stood with Millie, when our eyes locked my stomach did a flip.
One dark eyebrow slightly raised, hooded blue eyes, a half smirk painted on his lips.
Everything south of my torso clenched.
"I wish someone would look at me like that." Carol sighed wistfully, popping the strawberry on the rim of her glass in her mouth as she spoke.
I dragged my eyes away and back to my friends, unable to form coherent sentences.
"Jewel!" Millie joined us, snapping me from my Elliot Truman daze.
I shook my head a little before giving her a smile, my cheeks flushed and breathing slightly ragged.
"You've not had any pictures yet; we need to use the balloon arch as a backdrop." Millie grabbed my arm and pulled me after her, Ashley and Carol following closely behind.
"I'm not really a fan of getting my picture taken." I grumbled, feeling exposed as she placed me in front of the arch and took a few strides back, her phone poised ready.
"Nonsense." Ashley chirped, standing behind Millie so she could inspect her photography skills.
I instinctively pulled at the hem of my dress, wanting to cover as much exposed flesh as possible.
Millie ignored my signs of discomfort, directing me to put one hand on my hip, one foot in front of the other, lift my chin up slightly. I followed each command, feeling foolish.
"Smile Jewel, its only a photo." Carol encouraged from the side lines, holding up her champagne glass to encourage me to do the same for the photo.
The flash went off a few times, I saw only black and white blobs in my vision. When they eventually cleared, I spotted Ashley and Millie smiling down at the phone.
"These look great! Ashley confirmed.
"You look stunning." Millie agreed.
I felt like a prize pony on show, but I remained polite as I stood in a more natural feeling position. "Are we done now?"
Millie pouted at me. "No, you need one with Elliot."
"That's really not necessary-"
"Elliot!" She called over me, turning her head and gesturing for her cousin to come over.
He had been watching the spectacle from the other side of the room, clearing the space in no time.
"I was beaconed?" He gave Millie a look of mild annoyance, but mirth danced on his face.
Millie practically shoved him forward, her petite frame not moving Elliot's muscular one barely an inch. "Get in a picture with your girlfriend."
I expected his protest but was surprised when he followed her orders and found his place by my side, dropping his hand to the small of my back like it was where it always belonged.
"You don't have to do this." I whispered under my breath, the heat from his palm spreading up my spine.
Elliot looked down the bridge of his nose at me, blue eyes sparkling. "Worried I'll ruin the picture sweetheart?"
Then, without saying another word, he turned his head and flashed a brilliant smile at the camera, like it was just that easy.
I was left gawking up at him, completely in awe.
I could hear Millie shouting at me to look at the camera too, but I was too captivated by the Adonis beside me. The curve of his lip, his dark stubble, the way his hair waved in that perfect 'I just woke up and my hair looked like this' way.
After a few more flashes, Elliot looked back down at me. "Everything okay down there?" He joked, pulling me closer to his muscular torso.
"Fine." I managed, lost in the pools of his eyes.
"Good. Now for the money shot."
My forehead creased, confused by his meaning. Then, his lips crashed down on mine, the distant sound of a shutter clicking as I closed my eyes and became completely consumed by the feeling of his mouth on mine. He tipped me back slightly, supporting me with his strong arms as my chin tilted up to deepen the kiss.
The surprised groan that escaped from his throat only spurred me on.
My hand landed on his chest, gripping the collar of his shirt like a life raft, my legs turning to jelly as his tongue danced along my bottom lip.
It was an intimate kiss, too intimate for the audience we had. But I didn't care, I never wanted it to end.
"Enough!" Millie finally protested, fake gagging.
We instantly broke apart, both our chest heaving from the heated contact as Elliot set me back upright.
I resisted the urge to bring my fingers to my lips, that were no doubt swollen and now smudged with my makeup.
Happy Birthday to me!
Elliot seemed pretty proud of himself, squaring his shoulders as he inched away from me a little, his hand not leaving my back. His smug smile made me want to giggle.
When I'd composed myself a little, I looked up at the crowd that had gathered to see the show.
Millie was smiling down at her phone, flicking through the photos. Ashley was watching us with shock and awe, her brows so high on her forehead they almost blended with her hairline. Carol cheered from the corner, clapping like a lunatic. Somewhere in the background, I heard Frankie's cheers too. Teddy remained silent, an unreadable expression on his face.
My cheeks felt like they was on fire, from the kiss and from embarrassment.
"We got some really good ones." Millie walked over with her phone, showing us both the screen as she flicked through her camera roll.
The first few of just me, dare I say it, actually looked good.
Millie had angled the camera in a way that hid my double chin, her instructions of how to stand had given me a lovely hourglass figure. The girl did good!
Then, when she got to the photos of me and Elliot, my mouth dried instantly.
He was so photogenic, it made me want to cry.
The flash only accentuated the colour of his eyes. They looked like two topaz jewels, reaching out of the screen and burning into me.
When she reached the pictures of the kiss, I couldn't hide the stupid grin on my face.
We looked like a couple in love, how deceiving a picture can me.
Elliot cleared his throat, his usual emotionless expression back on his face.
"Send me those pictures Mil." He said, finally releasing me and strutting away.
Somewhere behind Millie, I heard Ashley mutter. "Doesn't like you, my arse."