CHAPTER FOURTY-FIVE

CHAPTER FOURTY-FIVE
Juliette

Milo and my mum left early in the morning, I waved them off at the door as they slipped into the taxi that was going to take them to the airport, trying but failing to conceal the hot tears streaming down my face.
When the car pulled away from the curb, Milo's face smushed against the glass as he stuck his tongue out at me, I finally let myself feel what I'd denied the moment he got his diagnosis.
Hope.
Hope that he would get better, that the treatment would work, that our life could go back to normal.
Cause life recently had been far from normal.
I let my mind wonder through the last few weeks, closing the door and slumping down on the sofa.
I'd managed to win the Gala bid with my necklace design, found a way to pay for Milo's treatment, agreed to marry a man I barely knew...
The last one was the kicker.
Because I was right, I didn't know a god damn thing about Elliot Truman.
But what I did know was that my head got fuzzy when he was around, and that he made me furious in ways no other person ever had with his mood swings and cold demeanour.
He could also be tender, and sweet...
I held my hand up in front of my face, smiling at the sight of my new Claddagh ring.
Elliot was an enigma I couldn't quite crack.
Despite his mostly vacant and always domineering attitude towards people, flashes of warmth would fight their way to the surface every now and then. Those flashes were what left me breathless.
Like the weekend at Lavender House, he'd shown me his safe space of Hasting Hills, let his walls down a fraction just long enough to give me a glimpse of the deep ravine that rippled underneath. Only to throw the shutters back up in our blistering row about Ashley.
I flinched at the memory, only settling again when my mind drifted to the incredible sex that had followed.
This man knew so much about me, about my life and insecurities. He knew my body, how to make me ache in ways I'd only ever read in novels.
What did I know about him?
His name, his drive to take over his family's company, his weird relationship with his father...And that last one was only because Millie had gotten a little loose lipped at his parents' house.
I wasn't even supposed to know about his parents brief separation, because he hadn't told me himself.
Is it possible to have feelings for someone you barely know?
Because I did have feelings, there was no denying that now. I just didn't know what those feelings were, or what they meant in the fucked-up situation I'd gotten myself into.
Point 8 of our Agreement came to mind, detailing how emotions were non-negotiable, how what we were doing was strictly business.
Its intent was crystal clear, there was no room for feelings on Elliot's part. The logical side of me knew that getting too attached to the moments we shared together, where what we were doing felt real, would ultimately be my undoing.
I lulled my head back on the sofa cushion, my brain completely frazzled.
All I knew for sure, was that when he touched me, all logic and reason flew out of the window.
My eyes started to feel heavy as I talked myself round in circles, picturing dark wavy hair, soft full lips and stunningly blue eyes.

I awoke to the sound of something hammering against my front door, the force so strong the windows shook in their frames.
I'd fallen asleep on the sofa.
Crap.
Bolting upright, I wiped away the drool from my face with the back of my hand and ran my fingers under my eyes, a vein attempt to make myself look semi-presentable before answering the door.
"I'm coming!" I called out when the banging persisted.
Rushing to the door and flinging it open, I was greeted by a dishevelled looking Elliot on the other side, his clenched fist hovered over the door mid knock. The dark circles under his eyes alluded to his lack of sleep as he brought his hand back down to his side, tension rippling across his broad shoulders.
Something was bothering him.
"Hi." I breathed, gauging his mood.
Elliot dragged his cool stare up my body, until his blistering eyes landed on mine. I suddenly felt very aware of how rough I looked, dragging my fingers through my knotted hair to tame it into submission.
"Is your phone broken?" He eventually asked, his voice eerily quiet.
I didn't even know where my phone was.
"No?"
"Then why," He took a step towards me, resting his forearm on the door frame so he filled it completely with his body. "have you been ignoring my calls and texts?"
Oh shit yeah, he hates to be ignored.
I instinctively took a step back.
"I wasn't ignoring you!" I began, ushering him inside so I wouldn't let a draft in. The house was already hard to keep warm as it was. "I fell asleep on the sofa, what time is it?"
Elliot felt too large for my tiny living room as he stepped inside, paced around the small space, eyeing up the décor – or lack thereof.
"11:23am." He reeled off, not even having to check his watch.
I was super late, he must have been going out of his mind. Was that what was up with him?
Stepping further into the room behind him, I watched as he walked up to the mantle piece, picking up a family photo of me, my parents and Milo when he was a tiny baby. His expression remained closed off, but his thumb ran softly across my younger, slightly blurry face in the frame.
"That picture was straight after my parents brought Milo home from the hospital, our first family photo together." I explained, nervously rambling from his obvious bad mood.
He didn't say anything as he set the photo back down and turned to me, his face blank from emotion.
Gone was the sweet Elliot from the night before, the one that gave me my ring. It irked me how volatile his mood swings were, you never knew what man you were going to get.
I rubbed the back of my neck, squirming under his expressionless gaze. "I really wasn't ignoring you on purpose, and I'm not in the mood for your..." I trailed off, focusing my attention on the indent in the sofa where I'd been snuggled up moments before.
God, I wish I was still asleep. Better than dealing with Mr Cranky Pants.
"For my what?" His mouth cracked into a smirk, his eyes flooding with a glimpse of mirth.
Here he is.
I walked past him, heading to the kitchen to make a much-needed coffee. "Nothing," I called over my shoulder, annoyed and tired.
He followed me further into the house, his hands thrown into the pockets of his slacks. He was immaculately dressed as always, despite his untucked and loosely buttoned shirt, with still damp wavy dark hair and a shadow of dark stubble framing his face.
How did he always look so good even when he wasn't trying to?
"Please, continue." He mused.
I grabbed two mismatched mugs from the cupboard, flicking on the kettle before turning around, my back pressed against the edge of the kitchen counter.
Elliot was watching from the doorway, his lower lip drawn between his teeth as he cocked an eyebrow up at me.
I felt my knees give at the sight, my pathetic response to his irresistible mouth.
"I'm not in the mood for your unpredictability." I admitted, grabbing onto the side for support as he slowly moved towards me.
When his body was merely inches away, his arms caging me in against the counter top as he rested them at either side of my body, he dropped his voice to a whisper volume. "You think I'm unpredictable?"
His breath was hot on my cheek, warming the blood under my skin instantly.
"Yes." I breathed, intoxicated by his sudden closeness.
He dipped his head low, so his lips hovered at the crook of my neck. My heart rattled in my chest as he lowered his mouth and spoke into my skin. "Good,"
When he finally made contact, planting a lighter than air kiss at the top of my collarbone. My body convulsed involuntarily.
My body didn't feel like my own when he was around, I was just a dashboard of buttons and knobs that he knew exactly how to push and pull to get his desired reaction out of me.
Elliot's contact was fleeting though, he pushed back off the counter and rested himself on the one opposite, a knowing look on his face. "You're the kind of woman who needs to be kept on her toes."
I let out a shaky breath, miffed at Elliot for riling me up to no resolve when I was already mildly annoyed at him anyway.
I didn't want to let him know how much he had affected me, so I turned around and started to faff with the coffee container, making a meal of trying to get the screw cap off the top, just so I had something to do with my trembling hands.
"Oh yeah, what makes you say that?" My voice sounded pathetic, but at least he couldn't see the beetroot red colour my cheeks had turned.
"Because,"
I felt his pause, his hesitance to say what he said next.
"You see right through me, and that rattles me a little."
I spooned a heap of coffee into my cup, completely misjudging my usual measurement, too enthralled by his admission.
"So that's why you constantly flit between loving and hating me, to keep me from seeing the real you?"
I couldn't help myself, I snook a look up at him through my lashes.
His eyebrows were puckered with thought, studying me intensely as he considered my question. I didn't back down from his gaze, holding his eyes with my own as I anticipated what was going to tumble out of his mouth next.
Something told me Elliot didn't get many straight forward questions, the way he struggled to answer without pause whenever I asked him one.
Was I the only person in his life that called him out?
Surly not.
I didn't know of him having many close friends though, especially ones that were brave enough to confront him. There was Frankie, I suppose.
But they were brothers, so it didn't count. They were constantly riling each other up.
Then there was Josh from Hugo Talls & Co, his childhood friend turned business associate. Josh had said he knew all of Elliot's secrets... Maybe he would get away with confronting him?
Elliot's expression dulled as he continued, "I don't hate you Juliette,"
Good to know.
"I don't love you either..." He pointed out, pushing his tousled hair out of his face with his palm as his face darkened.
Ouch.
What had I expected? For him to fall to his knees and profess undying love for me?
I forced a bright smile on my lips, pushing down the low ache in my chest as I grabbed the boiled kettle.
Get a grip Juliette.
The situation of our relationship was just that, a situation. If I'd said it to myself once, I'd said it a million times. The only reason someone like Elliot was with someone like me was because we had a contract detailing as such, we had to pretend to be in a relationship, a deal built on falsehoods and fallacies.
And that's exactly why I was feeling these mixed and blurred feelings for him, because I was believing my own lies, playing the part too well.
Elliot's eyes implored mine, like he was looking for a reaction. But I gave him nothing.
"Tea or Coffee?" I asked too brightly.
"Neither, we're already late for the appointment I've made for you. We need to grab your stuff and go." He looked a little annoyed.
I took a sip of my scalding coffee and assessed him over the rim of the mug. "What appointment?"
"Finish your coffee and you'll find out."
I forced the burning liquid down my throat, my earlier trepidation replaced with a bloom of excitement.

It turned out, Elliot's appointment was actually for a 4 hour pamper session for me while he caught up on his work emails.
After a lovely woman named Cherrie had blow-dried my hair, lifted my lashes, plucked my brows within an inch of their life and painted my nails the cutest sage green colour, I entered the lobby of the sleek two-story salon feeling like a new woman.
Elliot was hunched over his phone screen, looking out of place against the blush shades of pink and floral accents of the salon.
This was a feminine space, I had loved it the instant I had seen it.
It took him a while to look up and notice me, but when he did, his shocked expression was worth the wait.
"All done?" He cocked his brow up, the surprise and appreciation for my new appearance evident on his face.
I picked up my bag from the side of the chair and threw it over my shoulder, trying to act like the same old me, even though I felt like a friggin movie star.
"I am. Thanks for the beauty treatments, honestly you shouldn't have though. Its only drinks with friends."
"Still." Elliot looked uncomfortable as he rose from the fluffy pink armchair by the door, truly a lion outside of its usual habitat. "I figured you should look the part."
Of course, the Agreement had said Elliot would pay for regular beauty therapy...so I looked a certain way.
My mood dipped instantly.
I tried not to storm in front too far as we left the salon and headed in the direction of the car. Elliot watched me carefully, trying to gauge my mood.
"Have I done something wrong?" He eventually asked.
I forced myself to look neutral, "No."
"Okay."
We walked a little further in silence.
"Are you sure? You seem...off."
I gave him my best casual shrug, annoyed with myself for not admitting out loud that I'd wanted his gift of a makeover to be because he wanted to do something nice for me, not because he wanted to change me.
I also wanted him to tell me how good he thought I looked, but I kept that nugget of truth buried further down beneath my irritation.
"I'm fine."
I was playing into that stereotype, when a woman says she's fine when really, she's pissed off. But I didn't care.
Elliot scratched the back of his neck, utterly perplexed.
I continued to silently scold him, until we reached a few shops on the fringe of Main Street. One shop window called out to me in particular. A plus sized boutique that I'd never seen before, its shapely mannequins dressed in a selection of autumn inspired casual day wear and more dressy evening outfits.
My eyes zoned in on a navy strapless cocktail dress, with a corset top and a matching fabric bow hanging at the waist that made the mannequin look like it had an hourglass figure.
It was simple, but elegant. My style to a T.
The colour also reminded me of the many navy suits I'd seen Elliot wear since we had met, which secretly made me like it more.
"You like the dress?"
I hadn't realised I'd stopped walking until Elliot appeared from behind me and placed a hand at the small of my back, the familiar zap of his touch alerting me of him.
I nodded. "I've never seen this place before, I didn't even know they made dresses like that in my size."
I peered up at Elliot sheepishly, feeling his eyes on me.
They widened a fraction, his pupils dilating as if he was really seeing me for the first time.
"Why don't you go try it on."
"No I-" I started to protest, but it was no use. Elliot grabbed my hand and dragged me inside the store without hesitation. He beelined to the far side of the boutique, until we came to a halt in front of a curvaceous woman behind the counter, dressed similarly to one of the mannequins in autumnal oranges and tans.
The sales assistant smiled brightly when she spotted us, her expression not faltering once when she ran her eyes down to where our hands were still linked, then back up to me. "Hello, what can I do for you?"
"My girlfriend would like to try that dress on." Elliot pointed in the direction of the window, where the low sun backlit the dress like an artsy photograph.
The sales assistant's smile broadened, "Of course. What size are you after hunny?"
For the first time, that question didn't fill me with utter dread.
Looking around, I saw women of all shapes and sizes browsing the racks. I was going to be looked after properly there, rather than just accommodated by a few plus size options in the back.
"I'm an 18, but I sometimes have to size up cause of these bad boys." I gestured to my large chest with my free hand, aware that Elliot still hadn't let go of the other one.
Elliot's cheeks flushed a little, but he remained silent.
The sales assistant gave me a knowing look, "I hear that. Why don't you come with me and I can get you in a fitting room."
I released Elliot's grip and followed her towards the back.
In no time at all, I was in one of the dressing rooms, zipped up in the loveliest dress I'd ever had the pleasure to wear. I think I even preferred it to the emerald green one Elliot had bought me for dinner at his parents. It was close competition, anyway.
I pulled my freshly coiffed hair over my shoulders, so it fell to my breasts. The usually curly strands felt soft against my fingertips, not a bit of frizz in sight.
"This colour is perfect for you; jewel tones are an absolute must for red heads."
I smiled at the saleswoman as she adjusted the bow at the front of the dress, marvelling her handy work before stepping to the side so I could get a full view in the mirror.
Wow.
I was unrecognisable to myself.
Leaning in closer to get a better look, I ran my palms over the soft fabric till they flared out with the hem of the skirt. I looked three sizes smaller, the way the boning pulled my waist in. And there was more than enough space for my breasts, they weren't pushed up to my chin like usual. I could actually get away with not having to wear a bra with this dress, it was a revelation.
I felt red carpet worthy, my skin glowing from the facial and light makeup application Cherrie at the salon had kindly done for me.
The new Juliette.
This is what Elliot wanted, me all dressed up and well put together like a real housewife. I was shocked how much I liked it. I suppose I couldn't remain in sweatpants and hoodies forever if I was going to be Mrs Truman, wife of one of the richest men in a 100 mile radius.
Taking a shallow breath, I reached for the price tag dangling at my side, holding my breath for impact.
The tag said £250.
Noticing my hesitation, the saleswoman cocked her hip and rested her hand at its curve. "Don't tell my manager I'm doing this...but that dress is actually going on sale tomorrow anyway, so I can put it through at £199 for you. It looks so good on you; I can't let you leave without buying it."
It could have been a sales tactic, but she seemed sincere.
I did a few quick calculations in my head.
I had some spare cash in the bank after my mum had taken what she needed for her and Milo's trip, so I had enough to get it if I didn't buy any more coffees before work for the rest of the month.
"I'll take it." I grinned.
"Fabulous, is it for a special occasion?"
I bent down to retrieve my purse, the boning poking into my stomach a little.
Note to self: Don't bend in this dress.
"Its for my birthday drinks tonight." I said, handing over my card.
"Happy Birthday!" the sales assistant took my card graciously and ran her eyes to where my old, comfy but very worn trainers lay with the pile of my clothes. "Are you heading straight out after this?"
I knew what she was asking. Are you wearing those trainers with this dress?
I bit my lip anxiously. "Yeah."
Her brows furrowed, "Wait right here, I'll be back in a sec."
She disappeared behind the curtain for no longer than a minute or two, before she reappeared with a handful of accessories and a pair of matching navy heeled pumps.
"Cinderella needs her glass slippers." She quipped, placing the costume jewellery down on the bench and laying the shoes on the floor so I could slip my feet into them. They fit like a glove.
"How did you know my size? Are you that good at your job." I laughed, adjusting to my new height in the heels.
The corners of her mouth crinkled as she gestured for me to move my hair out of the way of my neck. "I would love to lie and say I am that good," She picked up a gold-coloured chain from the bench and fastened it at the nape of my neck. "But in all honesty, I peeked a look at the insole of your shoes for the size when you took them off."
She moved her hands to my wrist, fastening a matching bracelet with ease. When she was finished, she passed me a few rings to place on various fingers, their chunkiness contrasting with my delicate Claddagh ring perfectly.
"There." She finally said, looking at me through the reflection of the mirror. "The full shebang!"
She was right, I looked the full package now.
"How much are these?" I gestured to the shoes and the accessories.
"Don't worry, consider them a birthday gift." She shot me a wink.
"That's so sweet of you, thank you."
I gave myself another once over in the mirror. The woman staring back at me was confident and beautiful. It was her world, everyone else was simply living in it.
"You should wear all this to go, I can get you a bag for your stuff."
I nodded in agreement, not able to pull my gaze away from my reflection.
"Could you do me a favour." I called to her over my shoulder.
"Sure thing hunny?"
I lifted my chin, studying the gold chains of my new necklace and locket as they moved along my exposed decolletage. "Would you mind going straight to the till and ringing these up for me, my boyfriend will try and pay if he see's you with my card."
She gave me a puzzled look, like she couldn't fathom why I wouldn't want someone to buy these for me.
But I wanted something for myself, something that I truly owned. I know Elliot had insisted that he would buy me outfits so I could look good next to him, but when this was all over...
Over.
The sudden thought thundered in the pit of my stomach.
When what we were doing was finally done, everything I had owned would be his, and that didn't sit well with me. At least one thing, this dress, was going to be mine for keeps.
The sales assistant eventually shrugged and disappeared again.
When I was truly alone, I squealed girlishly to myself, spinning around in the small changing cubical like it was the night sky and I was the brightest star in it.