CHAPTER TWENTY-ONE

CHAPTER TWENTY-ONE
Juliette

My mind reeled over what he could possibly have to say to me as he started to pace around the meeting room again.
I was still so mad, furious at him even. I'd managed to avoid looking at him all morning as I watched Ashley go head-to-head with Frankie and Elliot.
I'd not been any use at all in that meeting, just sat drinking my water and looking down at my hands. I knew I should have said no, not come with her when she had asked, I could have been in the store right then starting to prep Teddy on my vision for the Gala necklace if I hadn't caved and said yes.
If I had said no, I wouldn't be sat there, watching Elliot Truman internally argue with himself as his footsteps echoed around the empty room. It set me on edge, the click of his shoes behind me as they got closer then faded away, then closer again.
After his 7th lap, I finally cracked.
"For Christ sake, will you spit it out?" I spluttered, turning to grab the back of my chair, and staring at him mid stride. His hand was forced through his hair, it made him look messy and less put together when his dark brown waves were pulled out at their roots like that.
After a beat, he shrugged off his blazer and placed it on the back of the chair at the very end of the oval table, before scraping the chair legs against the floor and taking a seat. His bright blue eyes were piercing through me, strained at the corners where his skin crinkled in some intense emotion.
Something was playing on his mind, and I'd thought of a million possibilities of what it could be, when he finally opened his mouth.
"I have a business proposition for you Juliette, one that I think could be very beneficial for the both of us." His voice was steady and calm, even though his body language told me otherwise. He'd brought both of his hands up to the table and laid them flat on the glass surface, in an attempt to keep them steady as he forced the words out of his mouth.
"My father has a lot of big expectations of me in order to let me take over his position as CEO of Truman & Sons, and after exhausting all options, I find myself here with you." He gestured around the room with his hand, as if it would explain everything.
I still didn't know where he was going, or what I had to do with anything he was saying. When he clocked my confused expression, he continued.
"You have some problems at home that I am confident I can fix."
My face and my heart dropped.
"What do you know?" I rasped, my heart beating fiercely against my chest. Had Ashley told Frankie about my brother? The thought was nauseating.
I pinched the bridge of my nose, trying to force the bile back down my throat. I cursed myself for drinking all my water too quickly.
Elliot raked another hand through his hair, "My cousin Millie informed me of the unfortunate circumstances of you father and grandfather passing, and that your other family is still based in Ireland."
I let out a breath, the dizziness that had formed in my head relented a little as he explained himself. He didn't appear to know about Milo, I felt a twinge of guilt for doubting my trust in Ashley's discretion.
"How kind of Millie to give you my family tree." My voice was cold and unfeeling as I spoke, not like me at all. He brought that out in me, the feeling of being flipped upside down with no sense of equilibrium. "But why am I here Elliot, what do you want from me?"
He sighed heavily and unbuttoned the cuffs of his shirt sleeves, as he rolled them up his forearm, it exposed the dark hairs that speckled his perfectly tanned skin. Could forearms be sexy? His were. It was disorientating.
"With just you, your mother and little brother at home with no other support, that must be financially taxing. And with the rising cost of living, especially in a city like this one. I can imagine its quite difficult to stay afloat." Elliot's words were right, but his tone was empty of empathy. He'd never known the struggle to put food on the table and keep the lights on in a house, how could he possibly know what it felt like to be hungry, cold, and alone. I had felt all of those things.
I wanted to hate him for it, but I was so dazed and confused about where the conversation was going, I couldn't allow myself to wallow in my own pity.
"What do you want Elliot?" I repeated, more forcefully this time.
"I just need you to do this one thing for me, and I'll make all your problems go away Juliette."
His voice was barely a whisper. "I need you to marry me."
What the actual fuck.
I was reeling, the earth shifted on its axis, at its very core was the two of us in that meeting room. I tucked my hair behind my ears, thinking I'd misheard him.
"I'm sorry, what?"
He seemed relieved he'd finally got the words out of his mouth, shifting back on his chair and physically relaxing as the tension melted away from his face.
His words still hung in the air like a bad smell.
"My father wants me to be married, so I find myself in the market for a bride. And I'd like you to temporarily fill that position."
I hadn't misheard. God, I wish I had.
I couldn't hold back my shock for much longer. "Are you on drugs?"
Elliot contemplated my question, running his index finger along the line of his perfectly sculpted and stubbly jaw in thought. A hint of a smile played on his lips; Was he finding this amusing? That made me even madder.
"You must be on drugs. Elliot, I just told you I'm not an object you can use as a business tool. And now you're asking me to marry you to please your father? We've slept together twice, in the space of one night! You know nothing about me."
His small smile faded into a more serious and sterner look; it chilled me to my bones.
Rising from his chair and moving so he was stood next to me; he leant against the edge of the table and forced me to look up at him. When he crossed his arms across his body, his biceps and torso flexed under the material of his shirt, reminding me of the memory of how perfect he looked underneath it.
It felt like he was trying to disarm me, did he know what affect he had on women just by looking at them the way he was looking at me right then?
My breathing shallowed as he spoke again.
"I know that I have money, and I know that you could use that money to live comfortably with your family for the rest of your life, Juliette. All I need in return is for you to stay married to me for about a year, long enough for my father to step down and for me to take over the position of CEO." His voice was clipped, like it was that simple. In his world, it was.
All this didn't feel like it was actually happening in real life, like any second, I was going to wake up in my bed in a pool of sweat from the strange and vivid dream I was having.
Elliot watched me carefully as I pinched my thigh and frowned when I still found myself sat next to him in the conference room.
This is real.
He was offering me money, a lot of it, from what I could gather. And I couldn't help but think of Milo, and of my mum, and how much that money would mean if I said yes to his ridiculous request.
Could I really do that? Did I have it in me to marry a man like Elliot for financial gain?
I didn't think fairy tales were real, but I'd always hoped that when I got married it would be forever. A marriage like my parents, one filled with love, one that wasn't a business contract.
"Say something." He eventually commanded when he'd become frustrated with my silence.
"Why me?" Was all that came to the forefront of the many questions I'd compiled in my head.
Elliot looked confused by the question, his dark brows furrowing on his forehead. "I don't know a lot about you Juliette, that's true. But what I do know is that you're strong and decisive, and I need those qualities in the woman that takes on what I'm asking you to. And you have a need that I can fulfil, which makes it a mutual gain, rather than one-sided."
"There are millions of women out there," I gestured towards the large widow behind us, the late morning sun shining on a city at work. "Who would jump at the chance to be with someone like you Elliot, without the need for any mutual gain."
Dipping my head low, I staired down at the seams of Elliot's trousers that I was wearing, picking at the threads nervously. "People like you don't marry people like me. Contractual or otherwise."
He let out a small, exasperated growl and cupped my chin, tilting my face up so I was looking at him once more. "But they could, I just need you to trust me, Juliette."
Elliot's voice was softer as his eyes studied mine, looking for his answer. My name on his lips sounded like a plea.
His hand felt warm on my cheek as he brushed it gently with his fingertips, almost comforting, it made me forget myself for a second.
"You said it yourself, you're soon to technically be my boss. What happens after a year is up?"
It sounded like I was actually considering his proposal, maybe because I was? Milo needed that money, and I needed Milo.
But at what personal loss?
Elliot released me and stood up straight, holding out his hand for me to take. I was weary at first, but when he shot me a look that warned me not to test him, I placed my hand in his and he pulled me from my seat.
"Our worlds are so far apart from one another, I'm confident you'd never have to see me again." He assured, letting go of my hand so it fell down to my side. I thought I might collapse in a heap on the floor any moment. Reaching out for the side of the table to steady myself, I took another deep breath.
"This is a lot to process, I need to think." I sounded as tired as I felt, emotionally and physically drained. It wasn't even mid-day and I felt like I could sleep for hours.
Letting out a long, defeated sigh, Elliot took a few steps back, creating some space between us.
"I understand, take some time to consider what I'm offering. I can have my legal team draft up a document with an outline of the arrangement that you can read over. I'll answer any questions or concerns you have."
I nodded and stepped around him, too exhausted to use words anymore. I just wanted to be out of that room and away from him – so I could get some clarity on the situation.
When I reached the door, I peeked a look over my shoulder at him. He looked lost, stood in the middle of the vast room as he watched me leave.
Elliot Truman was used to winning at business, I had the sinking feeling that was one of the first times he'd not gotten something he wanted.

The cool air on my face was a welcome relief, as I stepped out of the building in pursuit of Ashley. I resisted the urge to crouch down on the pavement and throw up, my body felt like I had just run a marathon.
After a handful of steadying breaths, I set off towards the coffee shop where Jenny in reception had kindly informed me I would find Ashley and Frankie. When I reached the front door, they were both just leaving, a to-go coffee cup in each of their hands as they shared an unknown joke. Ashley's eyes lit up when she saw me, then quickly dipped when she read my expression.
"Everything okay Jewel?" She quizzed, leaving Frankie's side to come check on me. I must have been white as a sheet, because she brought her hand to my forehead to check my temperature. "Are you feeling unwell?"
"I'm fine." I managed, brushing her hand away.
Frankie joined us, placing a comforting hand up on my shoulder. "You don't look fine; I hope my brother wasn't being a complete jackass again."
If only he knew. Maybe he did?
Ashley's expression darkened at the mention of Elliot. "What did he want anyway?"
I decided I wasn't ready to tell Ashley what had just unfolded, especially not in front of Frankie, so I came up with my best lie I could muster. "He wanted to apologise to me about his behaviour."
Frankie seemed dubious but didn't call me out on my fib. Ashley softened slightly and looped her arm through mine. I was grateful for it; I was still feeling unsteady on my feet after the proposal.
Before anyone could say another word, Frankie's phone buzzed in his pocket. He pulled it out and read the screen quickly, then beamed at Ashley.
"Jonathan says the contract is amended and ready for your signature, Miss Goulding."
"Thank you, Mr Truman." Ashley smirked, those two needed to get a room. They were a good distraction from the millions of questions whizzing around my brain at lighting speed.
Ashley looked down at me and gave me a concerned smile. "Are you coming back with me to watch me sign?"
I didn't want to go anywhere I could bump into Elliot, not so soon after our conversation. I had a lot of thinking to do.
"Actually, I am feeling a bit under the weather. Do you mind if I just head straight home, and I'll make up for any work I've missed in overtime tomorrow?" I wasn't exactly lying; I was feeling pretty sickly.
"Sure Jewel," Ashley didn't look convinced, she had the scary ability to read my mind sometimes. But something told me this time she wouldn't have been able to figure out what had happened in that meeting room in a month of Sundays. "Message me when you're home safe, okay?"
"Okay."
Then they were gone, walking away from me as Frankie lead Ashley back towards his father's building. As they turned the corner, I let myself sink to the curb, resting my head in my hands in defeat.
The heaving started pretty quickly, the contents of my stomach spilling out onto the street as I contemplated everything that had happened that led me up to that very moment.