Chapter 17

Pov: Max

After we left the AMD building, it was already beginning to dawn.
Betty led me towards the outskirts of the city.

Max: And where are we going?

Betty: Where no one will find us.

- This girl is weird. Her behavior still worries me.

Max: Tell me why do you need this bottle?

Betty: M? Ah! That's what you mean...

She took that bottle out of her clothes.

Betty: As far as I know, this substance is a kind of analog of determination. If something goes wrong, I'll drink it. And then no one will stop me.

- Hate... I remember Chara had this thing. Where did it even come from?

Max: Are you sure it's safe?

Betty: And what can happen to me? After all, this mixture gives me strength, doesn't it?

Max: Have you ever tried it?

Betty: No, but I'm sure nothing bad will happen.

- Given her abilities, this mixture can greatly affect her condition.
Not to mention the fact that Betty may lose her consciousness. Should I tell her the truth?

Meanwhile, Betty put the bottle away and looked at me with the same smile.

Betty: So since you know about me, can you tell me a little about yourself?

Max: And what should I tell? I'm a hybrid. Half human and half monster. My soul consists of nothing. That is, they are just fragments of fake souls created from magic.

- At least that's what the Creator told me.

Betty looked at me with disgust at these words.

Betty: So you're some kind of mutant?

Max: No... It's hard to explain, but believe me, I'm not like everyone else.

Betty: What do you mean?

Max: Have you noticed that I haven't smiled once all the time?

Betty: Yes.

Max: Because I am an emotionless entity. I didn't feel any emotions from the very beginning. If you ask "why"? I don't know.
But it suits me personally. Moreover, emotions lead to unpleasant consequences. Because of them, you can lose vigilance, attention, concentration, and so on.

Betty: Do you think it's good to be emotionless?

She looked at me doubtfully.

Max: I didn't say it was good or bad. I think emotions are just distracting.

Betty: Hmm...

Betty didn't answer anything, just put her fingers to her chin and thought.

- She probably finds it hard to believe what she said. But I'm not going to tell her the whole truth. Let him think I'm an abnormal person.

Soon we came to an abandoned building.