❆ chapter fifteen

The drive to school was silent

Haechan was waiting outside Hyerim's apartment complex in the morning. The atmosphere was almost awkward, both of them saying quiet greetings before she entered the boy's car like she normally would on a Monday morning.

The walk to her locker was silent as well.

"Uh, I'm gonna...go to class," she told him, gesturing stiffly to a random direction, giving the boy a quick wave, then speeding off to Korean history before he could say anything to her, or walk her to her class. 

She was anxious during class, bouncing her leg up and down before her seatmate shot her a furious glare which made her stop.

Hyerim couldn't figure out why the atmosphere became awkward all of a sudden. She thought that it was supposed to get better after confessing. What happened to the romantic dates and asking her to be his girlfriend? Was that only in the movies?

Lunch rolled around, and Haechan was waiting at Hyerim's locker as usual, his black hair falling over his forehead as he looked down at his phone.

"Haechan..." Hyerim called quietly. He looked up, giving her a smile as he shoved his phone in his pocket.

"You're here."

"Yeah." The girl bit her lip, not knowing what to say around him all of a sudden. "Um, we have lunch right?"

She cursed herself internally after saying that. Of course they had lunch together. Just like every other A week Monday.

"Uh, we should go," she said quickly, while walking away from him, eager to get the day over. She was confused. Her head hurt. She was tired.

"Hyerim, I think we should talk."

Her heart skipped a beat.

"Huh? Oh, yeah, okay. Yeah, let's...talk."

They made their way to the school sport field, sitting down on the bleachers. Haechan handed her a bar he had in his pocket, and she thanked him quietly.

"I'll treat you to a meal after school."

Hyerim nodded, ripping open the bar and munching on it quietly.

There was another beat of silence.

"We should talk about last night," Haechan interrupted the silence, and Hyerim looked over to see him staring intently at her. She immediately avoided his gaze, nodding again.

"Yeah."

Why was she being so awkward?

Haechan cleared his throat, and took a deep breath, as if steeling himself to do something he didn't want to do.

"So I applied for early acceptance to Korea University, and I received a sport scholarship," Haechan revealed to her, and Hyerim's eyes lit up. She clapped excitedly, knowing how much the boy wanted this.