❆ chapter twenty-five

She had promised that she wouldn't do this to herself again

But here Hyerim was, getting ready for yet another party. Although, it was better this time because Haechan had promised that it was a smaller gathering with less people. No more creepy men.

Feeling more motivated, she grabbed her stuff, shoving it into a purse and shouted a quick farewell to Jihee before heading out of the dorm.

Getting into her uber, she tried to relax. Normally, she would feel better if Haechan had come to pick her up, but it was his birthday and he needed to be there first, which Hyerim understood. 

It was a short while away. Haechan had rented an airbnb to have a better space than his university dorm. Pulling up at the address, it was a sizeable house - nothing too big, but definitely not small. She could see purple lights coming from the living room, indicating that the party had already started.

Walking up to the door took a bit of effort as she stumbled in her heels up the rocky driveway, but she made it. Unsure what to do, she knocked on the door, before stepping back and waiting.

It swung open, revealing a smiley Jeno behind it.

"Oh, Hyerim, you're here! Come in, we got started a while ago," Jeno told her while ushering her in. She smiled gratefully, walking into the house.

Haechan wasn't wrong. It wasn't a massive rager. From what Hyerim could see, it was mainly the KU ice hockey team, along with other guys that also looked like athletes, plus a bunch of random girls. Still, Hyerim felt awkward and out of place as she slinked past the group in the living room, trying to look for Haechan.

Narrowing her eyes, searching in the crowd of people, she managed to spot Haechan in the centre. He had a can of beer in his hand, surrounded by hockey teammates and a few girls. He looked happy, laughing loudly while talking to his friends, swaying to the music that blared over the sound system.

Hyerim didn't want to intrude. She felt awkward - she knew no one there and she didn't want to go up to Haechan and pull him out of his conversation, so she awkwardly stood pressed against the wall, hands clutching her purse, when she heard her name being yelled.

"Hyerim!" She looked over to see Jaemin, pushing his way through the crowd towards her, two cans of beer in his hands. "You came!"

Stepping away from the wall, she nodded, and he beamed at her, handing her a can of beer. However, she shook her head, declining.

"Oh, I don't drink. I mean, I haven't drank before..." she trailed off, looking at the beer as if it was a ticking bomb. She had seen enough of drunk Jihee to know what alcohol does to someone.

Jaemin furrowed his eyebrows. "Oh, okay, I'll just-"

"No, it's okay, I'll take it," Hyerim interrupted. In truth, she felt a bit embarrassed - she felt like she was the only college student who hadn't consumed alcohol before. So she took the can of beer from it, holding it in her hands. Jaemin smiled.

"Take it slow, I'll stick with you just in case something happens. So you don't need to worry," he assured her, and she nodded.

Raising the can to her lips, she wrinkled her nose as the smell of the beer mixed with the slight metallic smell of the can reached her nostrils. She let the beer slightly touch her lips, then pulled the can away from her mouth, trying to taste it.

"Oh, it's not too bad," she noted, mustering up the courage to take a proper sip.

Jaemin grinned. "Yeah, Haechan got the expensive shit today." He took a swig of his drink, leaning against the wall. Hyerim mimicked his actions.

The two stood there together, observing the crowd quietly. Occasionally, people would come up to Jaemin to start a conversation, but he was quite dry, letting the conversation die quickly so they would walk off.

Before Hyerim knew it, the can of beer was finished, and there was a slight buzz which made her head sway.

"I think I'm gonna go get another can," she told Jaemin, trying to push herself off the wall to walk off but she halted when her vision spun, making her gasp slightly.

"Woah, steady there." Jaemin rushed forward, holding her by the shoulders slightly.

"No, I'm okay," Hyerim stated confidently, nodding firmly to prove a point, which was a bad idea as it sent her vision spinning, her head feeling heavy balancing on her neck.

"No, I really think you shouldn't-"

But it was too late. Hyerim had unstuck from the wall, empty can of beer clutched in her hand as she carefully walked away from Jaemin.

And she really should've listened to him. She should've.

The music of the party got louder, thumping in her ears. She could vaguely hear her heart pounding and the sound of blood rushing to her head. And thankfully, it was an empty can of beer that she was holding, and not a full one. She was almost thankful that she was tipsy as well.

Because what she saw next would make the beer can drop to the ground, and her heart drop to her stomach.

long time no see ALSO thank u for almost 8k reads wtf last time i updated it was like at 2k reads