Black Widows

ASTRYD's POV

My head throbbed a persistent ache that demanded attention. Slowly, I fought my way back to consciousness, my senses gradually sharpening. The world around me was a haze of disorientation, unfamiliar and unsettling. A sharp chill bit into my skin, a stark reminder that something was seriously wrong.

As I tried to piece together my surroundings, I became acutely aware of the restraints binding me. My limbs felt heavy and unresponsive. Panic gripped me momentarily until I noticed Yelena lying beside me, equally incapacitated. Natasha, always the vigilant one, was situated nearby.

Beneath half-lidded eyes, I surveyed the scene with utmost caution. Masked soldiers, their faces hidden behind cold, unfeeling masks, formed a disciplined perimeter around us. Their movements were precise, their voices hushed. This was no amateur operation; we were dealing with a highly trained and organized force.

"Where are you taking us?" I dared to mumble, my voice barely more than a whisper, a futile attempt to extract information. One of the soldiers approached, clutching a vial of some unknown substance, poised to administer another injection. Desperation coursed through me, but my body remained frustratingly unresponsive as if I were trapped in a nightmarish limbo.

Before I succumbed to unconsciousness once more, my eyes locked on Melina, who occupied the pilot's seat. She met my gaze briefly, her expression inscrutable before I noticed the jet ascending into the sky.

*

I regained consciousness in an unfamiliar environment. Instead of the typical cell or detention chamber, I found myself in a glass incubation room. The surroundings were surprisingly cosy, with a pristine white bed on which I lay. As I slowly sat up, cradling my throbbing head, I spotted Natasha in a corner of the glass enclosure. Worry etched across her face, but her composure remained unwavering.

"Where are we, Nat?" I inquired, my gaze fixed on her as she stood up.

"We're inside one of Dreykov's flying bases," she replied, her eyes darting to the clear glass walls as if searching for prying eyes. "Alexie had been administered too many sedatives; he's still asleep."

I offered to assist her, mimicking a concussive blast with my arms, and she understood my intent. However, she quickly shook her head.

"Oh, yeah... I get it," Nat responded, acknowledging my unsaid question. "But no, we can't use our powers here. This cell is built to withstand..." Her explanation was interrupted by a loud thud from the adjacent cell. It was Alexie, desperately trying to break free from the seemingly indestructible glass.

"Alexie," Nat called out, addressing him from behind the transparent barrier.

Alexie, panting heavily, made futile attempts to shatter the glass.

"You can't just break through it, Alexie," I chimed in, frustration evident as I crossed my arms and sat back on the bed. "This cell is innovative and highly secure. I'll just wait for someone to..." My voice trailed off as I remembered Yelena's absence. "Where's Yelena?" Panic and concern gripped me as I thought of her well-being.

Nat regarded me with a sad yet proud smile. "You're worried about her?" she inquired, turning her gaze back toward the invisible observer. Her question was met with an emphatic nod from me.

Meanwhile, Alexie continued his assault on the cell, his laboured breaths echoing through the enclosure. Nat attempted to calm him in her characteristic composed manner, but something about her response felt unusual.

"Okay, Alexie, stop," she requested gently, yet Alexie persisted, relentlessly pounding on the glass. Nat let out an exasperated sigh. "Oh, God," she muttered.