Chapter 14

An hour after I had returned I heard movement from Tom and Marissa's room. Josh's voice rose in a complaint of hunger. Marissa quieted him and I heard the three head for the roof. They left the door between the roof and the hallway open, "Oh, someone put the soup on. That was nice of them."

Shortly Hank and Ben stirred in their rooms. Ben was clumsy first thing in the morning. A bang sounded from his room followed by his sleepy irritated voice, "Darn chair. You weren't supposed to fall over like that."

Of course, blame the chair. He was the main reason I put the coffee out. Nicky was the second reason. I looked over at her as she sat up with a grumble. Liz stirred and blinked sleepily as she also sat up. I stretched and stood up, "There is coffee and soup on the roof."

Nicky stood up with a grumble as she wrapped her sleeping bag around her and trudged out the door without so much as a good morning. Liz stood up and I helped her put her coat on before we entered the hallway. Hank and Ben were already climbing the stairs.

I glanced back as a door behind us opened. From the corner of my eyes I saw Daniel enter the hallway first as he glanced around. He eyed me up with an expression that looked like curiosity with a hint of a challenge. Nina had obviously told him who the Nightstalker really was. I let Liz drag me toward the stairs and up them. I heard the two others following the flow of people.

Marissa handed Liz a bowl of warm soup. I declined the bowl she offered me. This didn't surprise her, they had gotten used to me only eating a small amount at supper. I couldn't eat much in the way of real food anymore and one small meal a day was my limit. I could easily go a day or two without real food. In theory, I was technically unable to starve to death, but I had no desire to attempt it. I liked my food too much.

The bowl was passed to Nina instead. To my surprise Daniel accepted a small bowl of soup. Ben was downing his cup of strong coffee like water. I couldn't even figure out how he managed to swallow it. It smelled strong enough to enter a kick boxing ring. Liz climbed into my lap again and leaned against me as she slowly ate her soup.

My sunglasses shielded my eyes so I was able to observe Nina and Daniel without them catching me openly watching them. Nina had a slightly scraped up elbow and one or two small scratches on her arms from last night. Nina kept glancing over at me with an intrigued look. Daniel was more open about his watching and his eyes often strayed to me.

He didn't seem openly hostile, although every time I shifted my weight I gained his immediate attention. In truth, he looked pretty laid back with the other humans on the surface, but I clearly recalled his growling as he went to check on Nina and I could easily pick out the signs of distrust in his body language. Appearances were so deceiving.

Ben yawned, "Hey Nicky, could you please wash my dishes?"

She retorted, "They are disposable styrofoam, wash your own bloody dishes."

He chuckled, "Pretty please?"

Nicky whipped her spoon at him and he moved his leg to avoid the off course missile. Daniel examined the fiery lady who had clearly not woken up enough for Ben's teasing. She was wearing her sunglasses again and I wondered if she was doing it on purpose to annoy Daniel. If it hadn't been for the event last night, it could have kept him uncertain for a while longer.

Ben was truly awake now and there was a new lady present. He promptly made a nuisance of himself. "I bet you would look cute with your hair done up in a ponytail or a bun."

Nina glanced at him, "In that case I will leave it hanging as it is." She had no intention of putting her loosely flowing hair up if it made him attracted to her. Score one for her subtle putdown.