Chapter 130

This Stronghold let us in easily enough since they had heard we were coming. Apparently someone had sent a message via a homing pigeon several days ago. Someone was guiding Joe to the showers.

The man in charge here was happily guiding us on a tour as Daniel tried to track the one infected person present. Liz looked around in curiosity, but thankfully didn't make any attempt to leave the group. Nicky was walking beside her, as bored as usual.

I focused on Daniel's arm. His scab must have come off while we were driving since only a red mark showed where the injury had been located. That healed faster than I had anticipated, even taking into consideration that he had discovered how to doctor his injuries properly. I suspected that Terrors healed a bit faster than Nightstalkers, even as Nightstalkers healed a bit quicker than Runners. It was barely noticeable, but it looked like it made a difference if you were a Terror.

Daniel didn't have any real difficulty locating the lady we were seeking. Joe caught up to us just as we were approaching the truck. I could barely even scent the zombie undertone on him now. A cat was walking across the road and Liz pointed toward it, "Look at the kitty!"

Nicky snagged her hand, "We can go see it if you want, but kitties don't like zombies, or those who have been close to them. The kitty probably won't let you pet it."

After sitting in my lap for so long, I could guarantee that the cat was not about to let Liz anywhere near it. Nicky had a better chance of getting close to the cat and her odds were also so small that they might as well be non-existent.

Nicky nodded toward Joe, "Why don't we let Joe try first?"

"Okay." Liz looked at him expectantly.

Joe took the hint and walked slowly toward the black and white feline. The cat didn't seem to notice anything amiss until he had almost touched it. It backed up quickly before slinking away while looking back suspiciously. It hadn't hissed though, or attempted to scratch him.

He looked disappointed. For that matter, so was I. Had the cat let him pet it, it would have meant one less person in the crowded truck. I knew I was getting grouchy from being crowded so much, but there wasn't much help for it. The scent had faded enough that he should be able to remain at the next location, although this place would probably accept him if Nina said she had given the cure.

The cat made its getaway and it wasn't long before we were in the truck once more.

~

"He headed north this morning, if you move quickly, you can probably catch him."

Nina nodded, "We will try to locate him before returning."

Nicky passed a spare face mask to Liz, "If someone sneezes around you, hold your breath and put this on quickly."

Liz clearly didn't understand the reasoning, but nodded obediently. Daniel started the truck before glancing back at me, "Trinity, can you pick up his scent?"

I had already checked the air, "No, so he is downwind somewhere."

"Well, that is north..."

We knew it had been coming, so coming to a location that had just expelled someone who was sneezing heavily was not a surprise. Nina was quite positive that the cure would work as long as the person didn't turn during the 4-6 hours window that it took for the cure to completely destroy the virus. In theory, they shouldn't be able to turn at all since the cure was reducing the virus below the required concentration.

If they were in that closing window, she planned to administer the serum that blocked the normal zombie trigger since it worked much faster and would allow them to remain sane when they turned. Then she would offer them the cure if they wanted to be human again. The controlex didn't play nice with humans, so it was only available for someone who was already a zombie.