Chapter 108

This place had seen Daniel quite a few times and most didn't blatantly stare, even though many watched us in curiosity. My instincts still detested going into another den filled with a gaggle of strangers. Daniel and Nina knew quite a few by name and happily chatted over supper.

Nina had been smart enough to request a less crowded location to eat and we now sat on an outside deck with about a dozen locals. The one lady looked at me, "Are you sure you don't want anything to eat?"

I shook my head as I once more declined their hospitality, "Thanks, but I will pass. I am not hungry at the moment."

She nodded and turned her attention back to Nina and Daniel. Daniel was speaking with someone about the roads further east. Nina was talking to a young man, "I heard a rumor that you are getting married?"

The man grinned, "Yep. Giselle just makes my day. Her smile is breathtaking and her cooking is phenomenal. She has a great sense of humor and has that deep throaty laugh."

Nicky tilted her head, "Like the sound a dog makes before throwing up?"

The young man gaped at her, unable to come up with a response. I smirked despite myself. Leave it to Nicky... Nina halfway hid her face behind her hand in embarrassment at traveling with such an uncouth person, "No Nicky, he means that she just had a deeper voice."

"Oh."

Nina swiftly steered the conversation into a different area in hopes that Nicky wouldn't try to join the conversation again. "Jim, I assume you will join us on our tour this evening as we check if anyone is infected?"

A gray haired man nodded, "Yes. Is there anything you need us to do?"

Nina shook her head, "Not really, we will just take a quick tour and if anyone is infected, Daniel or Trinity will pick up their scents and then we can locate them."

He nodded before glancing at me. I had been almost entirely silent during the meal and some may have not been certain if it was Nicky or I who was the Nightstalker. None had inquired as they probably didn't want to offend the Nightstalker.

Once the meal was over Jim and a few others stood up as they prepared to begin the tour. I shook myself lightly before starting to walk along the side of the balcony railing. Most were watching me in confusion since I was not heading toward the door.

I paused beside a brown haired man and took a quick sniff, "Before we start, I think you had best see Nina."

I turned and headed toward where Nina was. She looked startled, "Damien is infected? Why didn't you mention something earlier?"

I shook my head as I dismissed her concern, "Yes, he is infected. I wasn't sure exactly who it was and it didn't make sense to interrupt the meal when a half an hour delay would not harm anyone." I glanced at Daniel, "And just how did you miss that one?"

He took a deeper breath as he tested the air and shrugged, "I think it might be how I was sitting on the end. The air was swirling there. I knew someone nearby was infected, but I had no clue whether it was someone up on the deck or on the ground below the balcony. It doesn't seem as strong as the other two we found at our first stop."

Nina wasted no time giving the man his two options. Predictably he chose the cure. Once everything was settled, Jim offered, "Shall we see if anyone else is in need of assistance?"

Nina nodded, "Please."

Jim started leading the way and Nina followed him. I fell in behind Daniel while Nicky followed me. Nicky ignored my personal space as per usual, but having her behind me was far preferable to some stranger. She also ensured that no one else came up behind me.