Chapter 137

Nicky asked someone passing by, "Do you happen to know where Cynthia is?"

The man pointed, "She is usually in the daycare."

"Thanks!" She turned to me, "Well, that was easy. Let's go."

I refrained from rolling my eyes as I walked beside her. Liz had once more taken possession of my hand. That little detail was gaining several startled looks from people who recognized Liz.

Liz pointed, "Look at the kitty! Can we pet it?"

We had told Liz at the last Stronghold that cats probably wouldn't like her, but it looks like she had forgotten. Nicky made a face, "Kitties don't like zombies. In fact, most animals don't. People who hang out with zombies usually have problems with most other animals as well."

Liz looked at her with big eyes, "Can I try?"

Nicky shrugged, "I don't see why not, but if I can't get close to a cat, then I doubt you will."

Liz let go of my hand and walked over to the cat. The cat had no problem as it watched her approach until she got closer. With a suspicious look and flattened ears, the cat darted under a shed and out of sight. Liz looked crestfallen as she came back, "Animals won't like me anymore?"

Apparently kids had a hard time if they thought someone or something didn't like them. Nicky looked thoughtful, "You aren't a zombie, so some will let you get close. Let me think for a moment. Horses and sheep are a no-go. Goats don't seem to care. Chickens and turkeys are oblivious to smell, although turkeys are just evil... Hmmm..."

Liz watched Nicky with a hopeful expression.

Nicky perked up, "Ah! I know! Trinity's dog is still around with the groups that go out every day. It was fine with Trinity, so it shouldn't have a problem with you. Most dogs won't let you close, but some will and I think this one is our best bet." Nicky turned to me, "Those hunting and gathering groups often return to drop off whatever they collected at lunch. Do you think you can pick up Chloe's scent?"

I sighed in resignation before taking a deep breath. I jerked my head slightly in one direction, "She is inside the fence at the moment."

Nicky grabbed Liz's hand, "Let's go!"

They took off at a jog. I shook my head before following at a more sedate pace. It had been a long time since I had last seen Chloe close up. I had seen her a few times here or there, but it had always been at a distance and she hadn't seen me.

We had never been close, not that it was a surprise considering that I was a zombie and she had been some random stray that had just stuck around and kept her distance. Still, she had stuck around and had been my only company in the wilderness for several months.

I eventually caught up, but kept my distance lest I disturb them. Chloe evidently had no problem with Liz or her scent that was contaminated by contact with me. The girl was thrilled with the big fluffy dog and Chloe apparently loved children. Now that I thought about it, Chloe had spent a fair bit of time with Liz on our original trip to this place. Chloe would remember her.

Others were watching them in amusement. I recognized a couple of them as being from that bunch we had cured and directed here. Two of them wandered over in my direction.

"Thank you once again for what you did."

I hadn't done anything. It had been Nina handing out the cure. I had simply sat there and watched. I shrugged, "You're welcome."

The woman glanced over at the child and dog, "Why were they worried about the dog not letting the girl near her?"

"Most animals will not allow people near them if they have been in close proximity with a zombie. They can smell it."