Chapter 83

Nina watched Nicky as she took a seat with a supper plate on her lap. Daniel also took a seat while keeping an eye on the infamous redhead. Nicky ignored them while picking through her salad.

Nina broke the silence, "Nicky, I spoke with the person in charge of the turkeys and he will meet you at the coop after supper. You can pick out your turkey and they will butcher it for you."

Nicky grinned in excitement, "Finally! I told that turkey yesterday that his days were numbered and he didn't believe me."

Nina nodded, "Yes. I also told that turkey that he wouldn't be bothered by you tomorrow. So pack your bags, we are going on a road trip."

Nina was also talking to animals now? Please tell me that this wasn't contagious... Nicky blinked, "Road trip? What road trip? I just got back from a road trip and we didn't even find any beer!"

"We heard a rumor that there is possibly a feral Nightstalker to the south, so we are leaving first thing in the morning to see if we can catch it."

Nicky narrowed her eyes in suspicion, "What is this 'we' shit? I don't want a feral Nightstalker and dish soap only goes so far if it decides it wants me."

Daniel growled faintly at her tone. He didn't appreciate the soap reference either. Nina shrugged, "Technically it is Daniel and Trinity who will be doing most of it. You and I are just along for moral support and peacekeeping."

It was my turn to narrow my eyes, "This is news to me. I do not recall volunteering for this."

"You have the best chance at finding it and if it is in another narrow cave, then we will need your help."

Nicky groaned and turned to me, "If I have to go, then so do you. Consider yourself voluntold."

I growled at her, not liking her attempts to boss me around. It still riled up my instincts, the drug had not changed that aspect at all.

Nina tried a more tactful approach, "Trinity, we need you to help us find this Nightstalker before someone gets hurt. Right now it is near a safe area where people can stop overnight. The last few people through there were carrying guns and small spotlights and somehow managed to drive it off, but it will likely come across a Stronghold before long and kill hundreds. Please. We need you."

Nicky sighed and added her own two cents as well, "You can't leave me with Daniel on a road trip. He might leave me behind or use me as bait. If that thing comes by at night, we probably won't even know it is there until it attacks. You know we need you. You are our kryptonite against the nighttime bogeymen."

I knew they were both right. That didn't mean I had to like it. I growled reluctantly while knowing that I was giving in, "Why do I have a suspicion that I will end up regretting this?"

Nicky grinned at me, "Because not a single one of our road trips has ever gone as planned?"

That did not reassure me.

~

"You know, I think this might have just been an excuse to get me out of the Stronghold for a few days."

"That may be possible." In fact, it was a very strong possibility that they just wanted a break from Nicky after her last few days there.

"How long do you think they are going to drive around out here?"

I shrugged, "No idea." We had been on the road for two days already and I hadn't picked up the faintest hint of Nightstalker. We wouldn't get to the area it was supposed to be in until around noon tomorrow. I was tired of sitting in the back of a truck.