Chapter 46

I wasn't in a rush to return and Nicky was easy to distract with wild strawberries. I left Nicky pigging out on strawberries as I went to check out the rabbit traps. I left the three dead rabbits on the side by side and proceeded to raid the mostly untouched strawberry patch. Strawberries beat dry bread for supper and Nicky was thoroughly enjoying her appetizer as we picked in silence.

I glanced up at the sound of footsteps, but I had already caught Daniel's scent. He slowed as he approached and walked out of the trees while simply watching us. I glanced at him, but continued picking the small sweet pieces of fruit.

It took several minutes for Nicky to realize he was here. When she finally spotted him, she jumped in surprise and looked at me accusingly, "You could have told me we had company. How long has that stalker been standing there?"

I shrugged, "About three minutes or so."

She stuffed more berries in her mouth and grumbled around her mouthful. She turned her glare to Daniel, "Why are you out here?"

He blinked slowly at her, "You disappeared for five hours. Surely you didn't think that your absence went unnoticed? I came to make sure that Trinity hadn't murdered you yet considering some of the tales I have heard recently."

She frowned, "I am sure that those guys were exaggerating. I did not chase them with a tire iron."

"Of course." He didn't sound at all convinced.

"Those guys really need to learn the names of tools. It was actually a prybar."

He growled, "You aren't supposed to be chasing them with anything that resembles a weapon."

Nicky protested, "But they started it!"

He glared at her, obviously losing patience, "How so?"

"They gave me coffee!"

He gritted his teeth with a growl as he closed his eyes, "That is not a good enough excuse for terrorizing a quarter of the population."

He seemed in an oddly short tempered mood compared to what I had seen in the past. He turned his reddish eyes toward me, "Just how have you not murdered her yet? I have been here less than five minutes and she is already testing my patience."

I bared my teeth in a dark parody of a smile. He narrowed his eyes somewhat at the action. "She hasn't said a single thing for almost an hour, so I think you just bring out the worst in her. It makes me look normal if I hang around with her. Besides, her mere presence also keeps everyone else at a distance."

He gave me a disbelieving look before shaking his head, "Supper will be ready in half an hour." He turned and abruptly left the clearing. I blinked slowly. That was rather odd.

Nicky gave me a confused look, she had also noted his behavior. Perhaps he was just upset that Nicky keeps causing problems and doesn't realize she shouldn't be pulling such stunts. I wasn't about to be the one to try and explain it to her.

I shrugged as I avoided the topic, "Why don't we keep picking strawberries for another ten minutes before heading back for supper?" She nodded and turned back to searching for the red fruit beneath the leaves.

We headed back and parted ways. She was heading for the mess hall while I dropped off the rabbits before heading to my room. I had stuffed myself with strawberries so I wasn't hungry. I sat on my bed and gazed out the window. Most of the people were already in the mess hall although some stragglers were still making their way there.

"Joe almost got through the bars and managed to grab one of the nurses. Daniel ended up killing him before he could bite her."

"Yeah, I heard. That sucks. I was hoping that he was going to pull through. At least that Nightstalker is still here."