Chapter 97

We took a detour away from the main roads to reach the small rabbit forest outside of Ironwind Stronghold and arrived without any fanfare. Luke was looking at the forest in curiosity as we came to a stop. I hopped out of the truck and Luke also got out. Nicky remained seated.

Nina looked back through the open window, "We will be right back."

I nodded and pointed over my shoulder, "We will be checking out the cave."

Daniel slowly started driving the truck over the tire ruts as branches scraped along the rusted truck's sides. I looked at Luke, "Well, feel like seeing if the cave will work?"

He nodded and I started walking toward it. He walked beside me while looking at the forest around us, committing the path to memory. I came to a stop and pointed to the dark opening that was just barely visible through some bushes.

Luke sniffed the air to ensure that no feral was inside before walking up to the entrance. I trailed behind him. He ducked his head as he went past the entrance. I could see everything clearly, but I knew Luke's sight wasn't much better than a human's was.

He paused at the corner and flicked a flashlight on before going deeper. I followed him inside. He came to the larger cave at the end and looked around. He gave me a rueful look, "It is absolutely no fair that you don't even have to duck in here."

I smirked as the tall lanky man had to stoop over and bend his knees to avoid hitting his head on the hard rock cave ceiling. Luke looked around, "As far as caves go, this one isn't bad at all. I think I will be chipping the rock so I can stand up, unless you have any issues with that."

I shook my head, "Don't let me spoil your fun. I don't have any attachment to this cave."

He took one last look around, "Well, I think I have seen enough for now. I wouldn't mind checking out the forest."

I headed back to the outside world and he followed me.

~

I accompanied Luke as he explored the forest. About an hour later I heard the sound of the truck once more. We headed back to where we had last seen them.

Luke blinked as he saw the truck and murmured, "They really do go overboard, don't they?"

I examined the heavily loaded truck and was in full agreement with him, "That is one way of putting it."

The back was so full that Nicky was sitting on top of a small three drawer dresser. We were silent as the truck pulled up. Daniel turned it off and got out, "This is about as close as I think I can get the truck to that cave. We will be carrying everything the rest of the way."

Nicky jumped down, "We already decided that Daniel gets to carry the bed frame and heavy stuff."

I smirked as Nicky once more nominated Daniel for the hardest work, although for him it wouldn't be that hard.

Nina held up a blue spray bottle, "Daniel says that this disinfectant tends to remove the lingering human smells. I did spray it on everything before we left and it should have aired out by now, but I will leave it with you in case you want to use more of it."

Luke nodded, "Thank you." He didn't move any closer to her though.

She also held up a small blue bag, "I have the controlex as well. It is up to you when you want it."

That caught Luke's attention and he looked at the bag, "I would prefer to do it sooner rather than later, especially if it takes about three days to take full effect."

Nina nodded and opened up the truck tailgate to create an impromptu table. Luke took a few steps closer as he watched her unpacking the bag intently. Daniel leaned on the side of the truck beside Nina and I followed not far behind Luke.