Eight

Ahri's schedule filled up quickly after the Australian Open. With her focus shifting to the Dubai Open and her rigorous training regimen, there was little time for personal distractions or contact with Max.

 Ahri had made up her mind. After the Dubai Open, she had a month of free time, and her thoughts kept drifting back to Max. She decided that this time, she would take the initiative and reach out to him. She knew that she had been on his mind as well, and she couldn't wait any longer to see him again.

With determination, Ahri contacted Charles and asked for Max's address. She wanted to surprise him and make this gesture special. She drove to a nearby wine shop and selected a fine bottle of wine. She also picked up a box of delicate macaroons, knowing that Max would appreciate the sweet treat recalling how Max had enjoyed them during their previous encounter. 

Ahri didn't stop there. She headed to a florist and selected a beautiful bouquet of fresh flowers. After all, she wanted to make a lasting impression. Armed with her gifts, she drove to Max's place, her heart pounding with anticipation.

As she approached Max's residence, Ahri took a deep breath, checked her reflection in the rearview mirror, and ensured everything was perfect.

 With a hopeful smile on her face, Ahri rang the doorbell, her heart racing with anticipation. She couldn't wait to see Max's reaction when he opened the door and found her standing there, armed with gifts and affection. After a few moments that seemed to stretch into eternity, Max appeared, dressed casually, looking every bit as charming as she remembered. Her heart fluttered at the sight of him, but she was determined to keep her cool.

Max opened the door, his eyes widening appreciatively when he saw Ahri standing on his doorstep. His gaze swept over her, from her radiant smile to the bouquet of flowers she held in her hand. With a low whistle, he leaned against the doorframe, making Ahri feel a touch breathless by the intensity of his gaze.

"Hello there," Max greeted her with a grin that sent her heart into overdrive.

"Hi, surprise," Ahri replied, her voice a tad nervous but filled with genuine excitement.

"God, I'd love such surprises every time I open the door," Max said playfully, his tone teasing and warm. She held out the bouquet of flowers to him. "These are for you."

Max's eyes lit up with pleasant surprise. He reached out and accepted the bouquet of flowers she offered, a surprised expression on his face.

"Wow, never in my life have I gotten flowers from a woman," Max admitted, genuinely touched by her gesture.

"Then I should surely buy you some more," Ahri replied with a flirtatious grin, her confidence returning as she enjoyed the playful banter they had between them.

"Come in," Max invited, stepping aside to let her enter his home. Ahri followed Max into his home, reassured by his warm welcome. She had been a bit nervous about showing up unannounced, but his friendly demeanour put her at ease.

"I hope I didn't bother you," Ahri asked, her eyes filled with genuine concern.

Max chuckled softly. "You could never bother me. I was just on the sim, nothing major," he reassured her, his eyes conveying his sincerity.

He led her to his living room, and they both settled comfortably on the couch. 

As they sat together on the couch, a comfortable silence enveloped them. It wasn't awkward, but both Ahri and Max seemed unsure of how to begin their conversation. Ahri decided to break the ice.

"Can I hug you?" she asked, her voice soft and uncertain. Max responded with a warm smile and opened his arms, inviting her in. She settled into his embrace, and the hug felt comforting and familiar, just as she had imagined. Max gently kissed the top of her head, and neither of them showed any inclination to pull away.

"Nice game in Dubai," Max eventually remarked, his arms still wrapped around her. Ahri remained nestled in his arms, finding comfort in the closeness.

"Thank you," Ahri responded, her voice content. "You know, I'm free for a while now."

"Are you? That's nice," Max replied, his tone warm and encouraging.

Ahri felt her heart flutter with his response. She decided to take the plunge. "So, I was hoping we could hang out. Only if you don't mind, of course."

"Oh, I would love that. I don't have any races this month," Max shared, his enthusiasm palpable. "My season starts next month, so I'm even up for seeing you daily."

Ahri's heart skipped a beat as she smiled. "I wouldn't mind seeing you daily either," she admitted, her voice filled with affection.

Max's face brightened at her response,  "Yeah, but your coach would, I bet. You still have to practice, I'm assuming?"

"Yes, but I can make as much time as we want," Ahri assured him, her determination clear.

"Great, then. What are the plans for today?" Max inquired.

Ahri considered their options. "I could cook for you, and then we can watch a movie," she suggested.

Max nodded in agreement. "I can help," he offered.

Ahri's eyes sparkled with excitement. "Hope you don't mind Korean food," she said with a playful grin.

Max chuckled. "Never tried, but I'm up for it."

As the evening wore on, Ahri and Max prepared a delicious Korean meal together, with Max eagerly offering his help and reassuring Ahri that he could handle the spice. The scent of the meal filled the room, making it feel cosy and inviting. They shared stories and laughed, their connection growing stronger with every passing moment.

After they had eaten their fill, Max retrieved a soft blanket, and they both settled on the spacious couch. They enjoyed a bottle of wine and watched the romantic comedy Notting Hill.

As the movie continued, Ahri felt herself getting more and more comfortable in Max's presence. The wine and cosy atmosphere made her eyelids heavy, and eventually, she drifted off to sleep, her head resting on Max's shoulder.

Max smiled down at her, charmed by the way she looked when she was sleeping peacefully. Gently, he lifted her in his arms and carried her to his bed, intending to let her sleep comfortably. However, as he settled in beside her, Ahri's grip remained strong, pulling him closer.

Unable to resist, Max wrapped his arm around her, feeling the warmth of her body against his. The two of them, comfortable and content, drifted off to sleep together, entwined in each other's embrace. 

The dawn light gently filtered through the curtains, casting a warm glow into Max's room. As he stirred from his slumber, he slowly opened his eyes, and the first thing he saw was Ahri sleeping peacefully on his chest. A soft smile formed on Max's lips as he watched her, her peaceful expression making his heart skip a beat. The warmth of her body against his was incredibly comforting, and in that moment, he couldn't help but think, "I could do this forever."

He pulled her a little closer, revelling in the intimate connection they shared, and then, overcome by a sense of contentment, he closed his eyes once more and drifted back to sleep. With Ahri in his arms, he felt like he was exactly where he was meant to be.