prologue

Different people perceive thunderstorms and rains differently. Some find them romantic. Others find them traumatic. Some others find them cozy and relaxing. However, there's always one thing about thunderstorms that remains constant - they simultaneously hide and expose a lot of things.

The morning after the thunderstorm brings a new face out of everything. The grass looks greener. The roads look cleaner. The sky looks brighter.

On the flip side, the tree that falls down during the thunderstorm kills everything underneath. The roof of the old building that falls marks the end to all traces of what was once there. And the thunderstorm also hides something much more intangible - crimes.

The biggest of the crimes occur on the stormy nights for a reason.

~

She stared lovingly into his eyes, the thunder roaring outside providing a symbolism to their future together. There was a certain pain and longing in her eyes too as she stared at the man across her, his eyes set on her alone, ignorant of the noise outside.

The rain falling on the nearby river, the heavy winds blowing, the thunder striking at a distance - nothing seemed to matter to them. The outside world always becomes insignificant for two lovers. The only thing that matters is the hand that grazes across the other's skin ever so gently. The ever so slight brushing of the hands. The clicking of the bangles as her wrist is held by him. The soft smell of her perfume countered by the sharp smell of his.

"Kabhi kabhi darr lagta hai ke tumhein meri hi nazar na lag jaye"

She giggled, her cheeks turning pink.

"Bas kar do, baatein banana koi tum se seekhay"

"Baatein nahi bana raha, tum waqaye buhat khoobsurat ho"

He grazed her cheek lightly with the back of his fingers. The touch sent sparks flying throughout her body, as she closed her eyes to relish it. 

It was almost as if she was closing her eyes to keep the dream going, too afraid to lose it all if she wakes up. 

The ignorance of reality and the blissful acceptance of a dream life. Isn't that what love is all about?

But can reality ever really be ignored?

"Yasir"

"Hmm?"

"Hum yunn mazeed nahi mil saktay. Tumhein aur mujhe ab apnay apnay rastay alag karnay hon gay."

He sat up straight, current shooting through his body.

"Kya? Ye tum keh rahi ho?"

"Tum to aisay keh rahay ho ke jesay mene koi ajeeb baat kar di hai. Hum donon shuru se jaantay thay ke ye jo kuch bhi hai, is ko aik na aik din khatam hona hai. Phir ye hairaani ki wajah?"

He held her hands in his, his desperation showing through every movement of his body.

"Dekho, aisay mat kaho. Itna asaan hota hai kya sab kuch bhool kar aagay barh jana? Kya tumharay liye humaray taaluq ki ye ehmiyat hai?"

"Nahi, asaan nahi hota. Mein to shayad tumharay bghair zinda bhi na reh paaon. Magar is raaz ke khul jaanay se jo hum donon ko jeetay jee maar diya jaaye ga na, mujhe wo hamaray liye qabool nahi hai."

"Hum yahan se buhat door chalay jayein gay, jahan humein koi nahi jaanta ho ga. Hum apni alag dunya basa lein gay. Tum aik baar haami to bharo, saari dunya se lar jaaon ga."

She gently placed her hand on his cheek, stroking it lightly.

"Hum nahi lar sakein gay dunya se. Apnay maa baap ka socho. Tum to bhaag jao gay, un ke kya ho ga? Aur tumhari behnein? Kya tum ne socha hai ye darinday un ke saath kya karein gay?"