~ new friends and enemies ~

Zaira observed Nooreh in the mirror after she had just set her dupata, trying her best to hide how bad she felt seeing her go through this ordeal. She had gotten ready herself, dressed in pastel and pink, her dupatta pinned on her shoulders, her hair let loose with some beaded jewellery, while adorning heavy jhumkas. 

"Phir bhabi, kesi lag rahi hoon mein?"

She could see right through Nooreh's attempts of acting cool. She understood how she must be really feeling - caged and powerless. 

She placed a hand on her cheek lightly and smiled. 

"Kuch zyada hi haseen lag rahi ho. Maa se kahoon gi tumhari nazar utarein. Aur ye mene kitni baar kaha hai mujhe bhabi na kaha karo."

Nooreh giggled slightly. 

"Mein to apnay bhai ki biwi ko bhabi hi kahoon gi, aap ho marzi keh lein. Makeup acha kiya hai aap ne wese"

Nooreh began observing herself in the mirror, but Zaira's mind was caught at "bhai ki biwi". Ever since they returned from Malik haveli, they hadn't had any words exchanged between them. Zaviyar had been consciously maintaining his distance, and she could sense it. Perhaps it was because she told him to not worry too much about her. Did he take offence at that?

But he wasn't supposed to get hurt by them, right? After all, why would he even care about what she said?

Why would he care about her?

She was still stuck at that, and all the answers her heart was giving her, her mind refused to accept. She did not want to accept it. 

"Zaira bhabi?"

Nooreh's voice brought her out of her thought train. 

"Haan, kya hua? Kuch chahiye?"

She held Zaira's hand in hers, clutching it tight. Zaira could see her unbothered facade was starting to crumble, reality dawning upon her. 

"Mujhe darr lag raha hai"

Her voice was barely above a whisper, cracking towards the end, making Zaira's heart break. She kneeled down in front of Nooreh, holding her hands in hers, looking up at her with a soft smile. 

"Nooreh, idhar dekho mujhe"

She gently held her chin up, wiping a few tears. 

"Bas sirf mangni hai, us ke aagay hum sab mil ke handle kar lein gay."

"Lekin kesay? Mangni nahi rukwa paaye, shaadi kesay rukwayein gay?"

A part of Zaira had the same fear, but she wasn't going to let her get more concerned. 

"Tumhein apnay bhai par yaqeen hai?"

"Khud se bhi zyada, par wo to apni shadi bhi nahi rukwa paaye thay. Baba ke saamnay kisi ki nahi chalti."

"Nooreh, meri aur tumharay bhai ki shadi is liye nahi ruk paayi, kyun ke hum mein se koi larra nahi tha. Zaviyar ko laga yehi sahi qadam hai, aur mein, mein tumharay jitni mazboot nahi hoon."

Zaviyar was about to knock on the door when he stopped, hearing the conversation going on. 

"Kya aap ab sochti hein ke kaash aap ne tab apnay liye jung larri hoti?"

Zaira smiled, shaking her head. 

"Hum mein se kuch loug aisay hotay hein jin ke liye donon taraf hi aik jung hoti hai. Bas ye intekhaab karna hota hai ke konsi larayi larni hai."