~ reasons and realizations ~

The breakfast table next morning had an odd air of tension surrounding it. Nooreh was busy shooting daggers at Laila. Seth Ahmer was entirely silent, a stern expression set on his face. Ruqaiyya was oblivious, but she could feel the tension in the air. She could also sense her husband's displeasure over the guest. Laila felt out of place and wanted to run away. Zaviyar was busy glancing at all of the family members as he tapped his foot continuously.

And Zaira? Well, Zaira was livid.

She didn't know why exactly, but she woke up wanting to bang a vase on Zaviyar's head. She hadn't talked to him all morning and was still busy giving him a cold shoulder. As she sat between Zaviyar and Laila on the table, she kept feeling the need to simultaneously stab them both with the fork in her hand.

Her plate was still empty as she did not have any appetite. She wanted to run away.

"aap kaheen jealous to nahi ho rahein?"

She couldn't get the question out of her mind all night long. Was she getting jealous of Laila? But she had no reason to be jealous of her, it's not like she had any interest in Zaviyar anyway, then why should Laila bother her?

At the exact moment, Laila began to cough.

"Zaviyar ye please zara paani paas karna"

Zaira narrowed her eyes and leaned forward to grab the jug and hand it to Laila herself.

Zaviyar couldn't help the smirk that made its way to his face. He found this very amusing. All morning he had been noticing her changed behaviour and had a feeling it had something to do with Laila's presence, and this just confirmed it for him. His eyes landed on her empty plate and he reached out for the tray of omelettes, placing one in her plate.

"Zaira, tum kuch le kyun nahi rahi? Batao, aur kya chahiye? Butter?"

She turned to look at him. Why was he acting all caring all of a sudden?

As Zaviyar placed a slice of bread in her plate, he gave her a soft smile and got back to eating. Somehow the thought of her getting insecure - no matter how entertaining - did not sit well with him.

After breakfast as Zaviyar picked his stuff and began to walk out, he was stopped by Ahmer in the garden.

"Jee baba sahab, bulaya aap ne?"

He could see the anger on Ahmer's face. He was shaking.

"Ye larki yaha kya kar rahi hai, Zaviyar?"

"Us ki gaari kharab ho gayi thi, raat bhi ho rahi thi to maa ne us ko kaha ke yaheen ruk jaye. Chali jaye gi aaj."

"Zaviyar, ye shehar nahi hai ke tum kisi bhi dost ko utha kar ghar le aao!"

"Baba, aik akeli larki ko raat ke waqt sarrak pe chor deta kya?"

"Tumhein andaza hai loug kis kis qisam ki baatein kar rahay hein?"

Zaviyar was getting furious now as he crossed his arms on his chest and stood up straight.

"Kya baatein kar rahay hein loug?"

"Ye ke Seth Zaviyar ke saabqa mehbooba us ke peeche peeche ghar aa gayi hai."

Zaviyar had had enough.

"Bas baba sahab! Enough! Mein aik larki ke baray mein is qisam ki bakwaas hargiz bardasht nahi karoon ga!"

"Acha, to ye us ko idhar rakhnay se pehle sochna tha na ke kya hamaray ilaaqay ke rasm o riwaaj is baat ki ijazat detay hein ke aik ghair larki ko apnay ghar rakh liya jaaye?"