~ a journey without a destination ~

He couldn't sleep after that, as he stayed up trying to make sense of a lot of the things that were unfolding around him. He observed Zaira for a long time, he noticed how she kept shifting in her sleep, turning around constantly. He noticed how the scowl refused to leave her face even while she slept. He was trying to find a link between the words she blurted out in her sleep and her actions. Was she afraid of something? Was there more to this story about Yasir than he understood at first glance?

But there was no way she could've been in a relationship against her will. The women of the havelis in Jhalpur were not allowed the liberty to love. It was a luxury even for the men. His own heart still ached for Laila and what could've been between them. So for Zaira to find the courage to be involved with Yasir to the point of sneaking out of the tight security of the haveli, it couldn't have happened if she did not wish for it to. In any other case, she could've had Yasir punished very easily. 

But why was she scared of him then?

He was pacing around in his study room, his notice board full of sticky notes and random diagrams. In the corner he added a new note - Yasir. It wasn't a link to any of the other pointers he was working on, so he placed it far away to not disrupt his original train of thoughts. He had to keep his focus on his real question - what had Shahzaib been doing? 

Feeling a severe ache in his head with the multitude of thoughts, he made his way to the kitchen to make himself coffee. He knew sleep was a distant dream now. As he walked out with his mug in his hand, he heard the front door open. His mobile read 2:32 am. Who was it at this time of the night?

He walked towards the door and found Ahmer silently closing it behind him. He was dressed up too.

"Baba jaan?"

Ahmer jumped slightly at the sound before composing himself again. 

"Zaviyar? Tum kyun jaag rahay ho is waqt?"

"Uh, neend nahi aa rahi thi. Aap is waqt kahan se aa rahay hein?"

Ahmer ran a hand on his chin.

"Wo apna munshi hai na, us ki bari emergency mein call aayi thi. Faslon ke hisaab mein kuch masla tha to wo pareshan ho gaya ke kaheen koi chori na hui ho. Aisay aadhi raat tang kiya us ne khuamkha."

Zaviyar furrowed his eyebrows, not buying the answer. 

"To aap khud kyun gaye? Mujhe keh diya hota."

"Aadhi raat ko tumhein jagana munasib thori na hai. Abhi nayi nayi tumhari shaadi hui hai, acha nahi lagta. Aur tum yunn raat mein kamray se baahir na ghooma karo, mulazim fazool mein baatein banayein gay."

Zaviyar chuckled.

"Baatein banayein gay? Kya?"

"Tum jantay to ho in ghareeb logon ki mentality ko. Inhein lagay ga tumharay aur Zaira ke darmiyan koi masla hai wghaira wghaira."

"Mere raat ko coffee peenay se?"

"Zaviyar, jitna keh raha hoon, wo suno."

"Acha okay fine, nahi niklon ga raat ko kamray se. Par aap ko ainda yunn koi kaam ho raat mein, to mujhe keh dijiye ga. Khud na jayein."

"Tum ne to apnay baap ko zyada hi boorha samajh liya hai. Apnay kaam kar sakta hoon khud abhi mein."

"Mujhe pata hai aap kar saktay hein, par aap ka beta hai na aap ka bojh baantnay ke liye"

"Theek keh rahay ho, pehle Shahzaib ka aasra tha, ab kabhi kabhi waqaye khud ko akela mehsoos karta hoon. Tum pe zimaydaari daalni paray gi mazeed."