~ a slight opening ~

Ahmer signalled Zaviyar to leave the room to give the father-daughter duo some privacy. Zaira gulped as she looked at them leave, the thought of being alone with her father was not at all pleasant. Zaviyar gave her a glance, looking at her fists curling up, and suddenly he did not want to leave her alone. Once he was out of the room, he turned to look at Ahmer. 

"To wo sprinklers ka kya maamla hai? Mujhe time hi nahi mila tafseel se baat karnay ka."

He wasn't focused on Ahmer or his words, his attention was only towards the room. Ahmer had to leave.

"Baba jaan abhi tak kuch bhi final nahi hai, par jo tentative details hein wo mein aap ko shaam mein deta hoon araam se. Abhi zara thak gaya hoon, araam karna chah raha hoon."

"Is umar mein itni thakkan achi nahi hai, Zaviyar. Tumharay kandhon pe is puray gaaon ki zimaydaari aani hai aagay chal ke, you should prepare yourself."

He forced a smile.

"Bilkul theek keh rahay hein aap. I should."

"Acha chalo tum jao, araam karo. Phir baat kartay hein."

Ahmer gave him a pat on his shoulder and left and he sighed with relief, as he began strolling in front of the room. 

Inside the room, the air was so thick and the tension so high, one could feel it in their bones. Zaira was not bothered, she just wanted to leave. Waqar had no experience of directly talking to his daughter, he never cared enough. But he had to, it was important. He cleared his throat. 

"Zaira beta, kesi ho? Khush ho na?"

"Aap aur mein donon jaantay hein ke is sawaal ke jawaab mein aap ko koi dilchaspi nahi hai. Jo baat karna chahtay hein, wo karein."

Waqar could feel his temperature rising, but he took a breath to keep himself calm. 

"Theek hai, kaam ki baat kartay hein. Ye Sethon ke ghar mein kya chal raha hai?"

"Kya matlab hai kya chal raha hai?"

"Sethon ke banday hamari zameenein kyun khareed rahay hein?"

"Ohhh, ab mein samjhi. Ye maqsad tha aap ke aanay ka? Mujhe laga shayad ghalti si beti ka khyaal aa gaya ho."

She snorted, her voice lacing with sarcasm. She didn't want his love or concern, but deep down she was just a girl who wanted to know if her father ever cared for her. Every time she would think there might be a chance, she was met with disappointment. 

"Zaira, mein -"

"Aap ne mujhe yahan jasoosi ke liye bheja tha, hmm? Ke Sethon ke ghar ki baatein aap ko bataaon gi?"

"Tum meri beti ho, Zaira. Malikon ki beti ho, ye tumhara farz hai!"

"Aap ki beti? Huh. Aap hi nahi kehtay thay ke zarr aur zameen mardon ki jageer hein, aurton ka in se koi taaluq nahi hai? Phir aaj ye mera farz kesay ho gaya?"

"Tum jaanti ho ke hamein is sab se kitna nuqsan ho sakta hai? Logon ka socha hai tum ne?"

"Logon ka? Aap ne socha hai aaj tak logon ka, Malik sahab?"

Now Waqar really had had enough. He was not going to sit here and let this girl talk to him like this. He stood up. 

"Zaira!"

"Aram se, ye aap ka ghar nahi hai jahan aap mujh par haath utha lein gay, ya cheekhnay lagein gay. Ye MERA ghar hai!"

She stood up too, her voice rising. She couldn't believe she was actually saying all of this to his face. She didn't know where this strength came from, but it felt great.