6. an old song

"He proposed?!" Charlotte squealed as her sister flashed her the huge rock on her finger through her phone

"Yes! I thought he was breaking up with me because of the job and all, but he didn't."

Kate had called her a couple of days ago when she found out she had gotten a job offer in D.C.. Charlotte had been excited, more than she'd been in a while, because it would mean her sister was only a 45 minute drive away.

Kate in the other hand was fighting her doubts. She had a wonderful boyfriend, who was kind and supportive and meant more to her than any relationship ever for that matter. So when she got this offer it felt like she had to be choosing between the love of her life and her biggest dream.

Fortunately for Kate, her boyfriend was supportive and decided he could love her anywhere.

As much as she loved and admired her sister, Charlotte also envied her. She managed to get everything; a great job, a good work-life balance, and a millionaire boyfriend slash fiancé.

"That ring is a bit small innit?" Charlotte chuckled.

"It's huge," Kate gasped, "It's the first thing I said. But he told me I just had small fingers."

The last comment made them laugh. Of course he said that.

She walked out of the elevator onto the 6th, when she was immediately pulled away by her friend.

"You have to hear what happened last night."

Charlotte had been invited to have drinks with Emily, JJ and Penelope, but decided against it when she'd gotten an urgent message.

"Do I hear Emily Prentiss?" her sister asked through the phone.

Emily staggered. "Katherine Houghton Beckett, that you?"

Before Charlotte knew it, Emily had taken her phone and continued the conversation with her sister. 'nice', she tought, 'my best friend just stole my sister.'

"You know, I was-"

She couldn't finish her sentence because Emily interrupted her: "You know you have all the time of your life to talk to her, let me have this moment with her."

"You have her number, you can call her any time", she quipped.

Both from the person inside the phone and on the other side, she heard the following three words: "Shut up, Charlie."

"So when are you coming to D.C.?" Emily asked Kate, when she sat down.

Charlotte pushed aside the piles of snack wrappers and sat down on top of her friend's desk. Even after all these years she was impressed by the amounts her friend could eat and drink.

"Next week, I'm starting in 2. So, this week I'm just wrapping up some things here and then I'm heading to you."

JJ rushed past the desks. "We have a case!"