7. i still remember

"I can't watch you go in there and have yourself killed, Beckett

"I can't watch you go in there and have yourself killed, Beckett. This is a suïcide mission", Hotch hissed.

"Then close your eyes when it gets too scary for you. Or don't watch at all. Because I am going in."

"You think this is what? That this is funny? You think this is heroic? Why are you like this?"

"Why am I like what?"

"Reckless with your life! You just don't seem to care about you. You don't seem to care about the people who would die if they lost you."

"Because there is no one! Don't you see that? All the team members have someone that can't live without them when they die. But you would all be able to move on if I do. So, please let me go and let me do the job that I willingly signed up for, and save these innocent people from a truly reckless man."

Charlotte finished putting on her vest and walked to the front door, but before she could enter, Hotch called made her stop in her tracks as he called after her.

"What about Emily? She cares."

She turned around and walked back to him until she was only inches away. "Then you better make sure she is taken care of if I die."

As she turned back around, ready to go in he said something she'd never expected. "And what about me?"

She didn't face him as she answered. "Don't go there? Don't be that low. Don't be a liar."

Charlotte walked straight into the building, now filled with anger. 'How could he lie about caring for me?', she thought. She knew he wasn't perfectly nice or welcoming to her, but she'd never expect him to try to manipulate her into backing down.

As she opened the door, she looked over her shoulder. Hotch had his back turned to her. 'So far for your theory of caring about me? Can't even see me goodbye.'

"Goodbye... Aaron Hotchner", she whispered.

 Aaron Hotchner", she whispered

He couldn't watch her go in. He had no idea why every fiber in his body wanted to sprint in and get her back, when every time he saw her, there was nothing more he wanted than the run away as fast as he could.