3. the sound of

The week came almost to an end, and still no case

The week came almost to an end, and still no case. She was getting bored of mock cases and an annoyed Hotch looking over her shoulder.

This morning she woke up to a text from Strauss, telling the team they would be having a testing day today. What that meant, she had no idea.

From: Em Prenty 🤍
Charles, I'm at ur door. Get ur pretty ass out here!
I brought u a coffee.

That was a fantastic way to get her out. Anything for her best friend and coffee. Actually, anything for coffee.

Charlotte put on her jacket and walked out. She lived in an apartment building, not really caring for a house. On her way out she greeted the doorman and her next-door neighbour who were talking to one another.

Em's car was in front of the building, she noticed it immediately. As she stepped in she looked for the coffee.

"Yeah, I don't have coffee", was the first thing Emily said to her.

"But- What- Why?", Charlotte protested. "You said-"

"Yes, I know what I said. I lied."

Charlotte was about the step out of the car, not feeling like going to work today, when Emily locked the car doors.

"You're not going anywhere, Charlie. We are going to work and I'll get you a coffee. I promise", she said as she started the car and drove off.

"If you do not get me a coffee I will make an assault complaint!"

Emily looked quickly at her, before returning her eyes on the road. "A formal complaint? For not getting you coffee?"

"Yes! And kidnapping."

Her friend shook her head laughing. They truly missed having one another around. Because even though they called each other every single day, a phone call wasn't nearly as exciting as being in the same room.

 Because even though they called each other every single day, a phone call wasn't nearly as exciting as being in the same room

"It's evaluation time", Strauss started her speech. "You will be tested on your physicality, weapon and ballistic skills, team work, knowledge, and psychological resilience."