8. the sticky old tables

"So, how is it going?" Dave asked Aaron as he walked into his office

He looked up from the piles of paperwork. "How's what going?"

His best friend took the chair on the other side of his desk. Dave made sure to take his time sitting down comfortably, leaning back with pure joy. "A certain dark blonde early-thirties profiler who enjoys making you look like a worried husband."

"I have no idea what you're talking about."

But he did know, because she's all he's been able to think about for days. For weeks. Especially since the Fisher Case. It was the third time that he thought he might lose her, but this time was different. Never had he ever gotten this attached so soon to someone, after becoming a profiler.

"Aaron, I am a profiler, but even a layman could see that you're lying your ass off. No come on and tell me what's going on."

Even when completely honest, he had no idea what was going on. He was completely distracted and no idea how that change came upon him. He wasn't a very flexible person, yet when it came to her, he was willing to change everything about his ways.

'I wish there was something to tell', Aaron thought, but: "There is nothing to tell" is what he said.

"Then go out there and get yourself something to tell me."

Dave knew that Aaron had struggled in his love life. The way his ex-wife just left him, and then got brutally murdered. He knew that his friend had tried finding a new partner, but hadn't gotten lucky. He knew that as a profiler and unit chief, Hotchner was anything but emotional and flexible, yet the moment the new member of their team walked into any room, all of that disappeared like snow in the sun.

"I don't know Dave. What am I supposed to do? It's not like Strauss would ever allow it. Even if Charlotte wants to."

Dave chuckled. "First of all, she definitely wants to. Secondly, FUCK THE RULES ERIN STRAUSS PUTS ON US!"

"How do you know she wants to?", Aaron asked him.

"I have my connections."

"Prentiss?"

"Prentiss", Dave confirmed with a nod.

Before any of them could say anything else, a knock on the door snapped them out of their conversation.

JJ entered, holding up a file. "We have a case."

"