Tongue Twisted

Sum: Friend lost their tongue in the Commission, this is how they live without it
(Basically based on a theory I had about the reason Friend couldn't talk being that they had no tongue but that got disproved when I looked that stuff up, but I wanted to write about the cool things I learned)

!No Ships!

************************************
3rd POV

   The smell of grease and the sound of sizzling and banging coming from the back of the restaurant was really starting to cause Friend a headache. Using their sleeve to cover their nose, they try their best to stay in line with their friends. A hand lands on Friend's shoulder, they turn and make eye contact with Luna, who is giving them a concerned smile.

   "You don't have to stand in line with us, you can go and sit down at a table and I can order your food if you'd like?" She squeezes their shoulder softly. An annoyed grunt exits Friend as they step out of line and make their way towards the tables.

   She watches them walk off, as a taller figure leans down to her level, "Do you even know what they want?" Natsu also sees as Friend makes their way over to the farthest seating booth. Taking one more glance at Friend before turning back to the line, Luna softly mumbles, "Yeah... I do..."

------------------------------------------------------------

   Trying to find ways to pass the time, Friend stares up at all of the art and posters hanging on the walls. They sway their legs and keep their focus on one poster in particular, it's about a type of cheese burger. The longer they look at it, the more one question pushes on their mind, "I wonder what it taste like?"

   Their thought gets cut off when they feel a presence sits infront and beside of them. A paper bag gets placed in their arms, they look over to see Natsu also has one and Luna is holding a cup of water. Opening the bag they pull out a box of fries, which seems to catch Luna's attention, "Oh! I had asked them to make your fries extra salty, so if they are not then just tell me and I'll go back up there. And I have lots of salt at home if you want that instead!"

   Placing a few fries in their mouth, they can feel warmth spread throughout and they can taste the slightest bit of salt. They let out a soft hum, she smiles softly and takes a sip of water, turning her attention to Natsu, who is chomping down his food like he hasn't eaten in days.

   Friend puts some more fries into their mouth, tilting their head sideways so they can chew it better before lifting their head up and tilting back, trying their best to swallow. Putting their head back down as they cough slightly, Luna places her hand on their back as Natsu reaches over and places a hand on their shoulder. "You alright, bud?" They look up at Natsu and nod, coughing again, making Luna pat their back.

------------------------------------------------------------

   Eventually, Natsu finishes his food while Friend hasn't, so him and Luna patiently wait for them, making sure they don't feel pressured to rush. Once done, they all clean up their area and make their way out of the restaurant, ready to head home. They get into their car with Luna in the driver's seat, Friend in the passenger, and Natsu sits in the back but he likes to lean on the seats upfront and sticks his head forward, so he's practically in the front.

************************************

(I wrote this and it got deleted so I had to rewrite it twice- >:[)

I freaking love Luna, Natsu, and Friends dynamic-- They're literally so calm and patient with each other and literally care so much about one another-----

Random headcanon of mine that was added in here: Luna LOVES to take people to restaurants and stuff but doesn't really enjoy those places herself, she just likes to make others happy-

Anyways- here's the list of things I've learned and added into here:

1. Once your brain and body realizes that you're missing one of your senses then it will highten all your other ones (That's why Friend got annoyed at the beginning because their others senses are alot stronger)

2. You can't really talk without a tongue but you can still say a few words that don't involve your tongue and make some sounds (Friend let out a humming noise to let Luna know the fries were good)

3. If you don't have a tongue, it'll be hard to eat at first but you just have to practice alot then it'll get easier (Friend tilted their head to get a better angle to chew at and swallow)

4. Most people who get their tongue cut out will be unable to taste anything, but sometimes they are able to taste things only if it has a really strong taste to it, normally something salty or sweet (Luna asked for Friend's fries to be extra salty so they could taste it, in reality, it needs to be alot more salty than McDonalds fries but- im to lazy for that)

Another thing I learned, that isn't really about this but I think it's pretty cool, is that some people who are BORN without a tongue will have taste buds grow on the bottom of their mouth-
Sounds pretty gross right? :]

.
.
.
TLDR: I'm a nerd