The Fall

(A/N: This is a continuation of a novelization I did for BOTW called The Lonely Knight. If you haven't read it yet, I encourage you to do so before going into this. With that, enjoy.)

The orange glow of a torch's flame lit the way ahead in the darkness of the cave. Its wielder held it high over her head, as examined the smooth, yet uneven walls of the catacombs.

"I can't believe we're still going..." she muttered, "When I was a child, I asked my father if there was anything below the castle. He said there was, though seeing it for ourselves or even discussing the matter was forbidden. No one in our family knew more than that."

She turned to her companion who was bringing up the rear

She turned to her companion who was bringing up the rear. Link, her appointed knight, trailed behind, constantly glancing around for any trace of danger. Having been addressed, he turned to the princess.

"I heard some stories of unexplored parts of the castle

"I heard some stories of unexplored parts of the castle. They said they were haunted by some kind of evil spirit," he recounted, "But those were mostly just silly ghost stories."

"You weren't ever frightened by them?" Zelda asked, looking back to him.

Link shook his head, saying:

"They never seemed real to me."

"Well, I expected no less from you," she chuckled.

As they walked through, small puffs of black and purple billowed harmlessly past them. It had already been several hours since he and the princess first descended down below. After discovering the entrance to the caverns in the remnants of the old palace, the two had been following the trail of this strange mist ever since.

"People have been falling ill after coming into contact with the gloom drifting through these caverns. Though here it seems misty and not concentrated enough to harm us..."

Just as she finished speaking, Link suddenly grabbed her by the hood and jerked her back.

"Ah! Link, what are you-"

Link didn't say a word as he pointed to her feet. Looking down, she quickly stepped back as she realized she stood at the end of a ledge of large crater in the ground.