Dark Hands

The clopping of hooves broke the calm of that afternoon, as Epona galloped over the road heading further north to Hebra.

As the white maned mare passed through the green fields, Link was deep in thought, planning out his itinerary for the trip ahead.

"I'll have to activate this region's Skyview Tower here on the way to get ahold of the map here. I'm also going to need to find as many shrines as I can along the way here. And that's not even mentioning the Lucky Clover Gazette, the koroks and Hestu- Wait, Hestu?"

Link quickly tugged at Epona's reins, the mare whinnying as she ground to a halt. His head snapped in the direction they'd come from as he blinked twice to make sure he was seeing correctly.

Sure enough, the birch bark like skin, its leafy hair and stout figure were impossible to not recognize. Hestu, the forest musician, was standing near the edge of a small wood with a small travel pack hanging over his shoulder. He was gripping his head with his stubby arms and quivering in fear.

Confused, Link dismounted from Epona before making his way over to the gentle giant

"Hestu?" Link asked, tapping him in the shoulder.

"T-those trees over there..." the musician whimpered, "So scary... Shalaka..."

Link turned to the wood. It was only a small group of about four trees. Still, cursory glances like that had been deceiving to him before.

"Stay here," he told Hestu, before drawing his blue bokoblin reaper and carefully approaching the trees with his traveler's shield raised.

With a rumble, three of the four trees suddenly burst out of the ground, using their roots like legs in order to maneuver around. Just as Link had suspected: more evermeans.

Tall as they were, the fact they still were trees and their size made them slow, allowing Link to dive forward. The evermeans swung their heads at the knight, the leaves rustling loudly from hitting the ground. Link quickly leapt out of the way before hewing down the one at the front of the group, chopping him down till nothing remained but a lifeless log.

Just as he had finished chopping, he quickly raised his shield to block another swing from one of the sentient trees, reducing it to splinters and knocking him back.

"Argh!" he gasped, as he quickly got back up to his feet. Rushing forward, he moved his arm behind his back, charging up a strike. All he had to do was wait for the right moment.

The evermeans, seeing him halt in his footsteps, advanced forward, thinking they had an easy kill. Just as they were arm's length away from him, Link unleashed a spin attack on them, cutting both of the monsters down, leaving them silent and lifeless on the ground once more.

"Phew..." Link breathed out as he sheathed his weapon.

Hestu's head perked up in surprise, having realized the danger had passed.