4. Unwelcomed Dawn

CHAPTER - 4

UNWELCOMED DAWN

The sound of crashing waves filled my ears as I looked at the serene view of the endless sky kissing the endless sea in the distance. The dim light of the half moon in the dark sky reflected on the crystal clear water, making it shine.

"It's amazing, isn't it?" A voice broke my moment of dazedness towards the nature. I noticed that Kim's voice was a bit softer than I had heard during the entire time I had been with her. Probably, the same was the case with my thoughts and voice because of the spectacular view in front of us. So, I decided to keep quiet and just nod in agreement.

Kim chuckled at my lack of verbal response and jumped the little fence that was supposed to act as a barrier from letting people enter the secluded beach, but failed miserably. She removed her sneakers and kept them near the fence. I did the same with my footwear. She started running towards the shore, like the mad woman she was. Putting my hands in my beige shorts' pockets, I followed her like the civilized person I was.

She stopped once she reached a few feet away from the endless water, facing it. I stopped next to her and took in the view in front of me. I just could not get enough of this peaceful sight. I looked at Kim standing at my left side and noticed her looking at the front with amazement and her lips were curled up in a smile, a smile that I saw for the first time since I met her, a smile that showed peace, awe and most importantly contentment.

"You love this place," I asked, whispering, but it came out as a statement.

Her smile was still in place and her eyes lighted up in delight, she said, "How can I not? It's beautiful." She turned to face me and tilted her head slightly. "Isn't it?" she asked.

'Beautiful? What is beautiful? I have never seen anything or anybody, whom I could call beautiful. This is one word that I have never used for anyone in my life.'

"It's splendid," I said, settling for another adjective. 'Splendid'? Who the f*ck says that word? This place was screwing my head. I could definitely do with not coming here again.

We sat down at our spots and kept our gaze towards the peaceful water. A comfortable silence settled between us and I decided to break it. I was never good with silent, peaceful moments. They were weird. "What is your problem with Claire?" I asked her. Not that I was remotely interested in Claire or wanted to know about her. I had been living next door to her for a week, and trust me; I knew enough to last a lifetime. I asked this question because I wanted to know more about the girl sitting beside me and Claire was like a common topic for us to talk about.

She picked up a pebble and threw it towards the sea, making the water splash. "You know how it is; bitchy, fake cheerleader versus the feisty tomboy," she said, shrugging. "She made my life hell a few years back," she paused, making me look at the cute frown on her face, which quickly changed into a mischievous smirk as she continued, "now I make her's."

I chuckled a bit and nodded. "Fair enough," I mumbled.

She looked at me with a confused expression. "Says the player?"

"Hey!" I started, in an effort to defend myself. "I might be a player-" she interrupted me.

"Might?" she asked, laughing.

I rolled my eyes and corrected myself, "I am a player, but I am not a bully. I am more into getting laid than bullying." I smirked smugly as she scrunched her nose in distaste.

"You are gross!" she declared, making me laugh. "Tell me something about yourself," she said, tilting her head to the side.

"Claire and I don't share a hate relationship, whatever we share is more on the lines of physical attraction," I joked just to annoy her.