28. Painfully Awkward

Dedicating this chapter to Unbroken_Promises for sticking by this story since quite the beginning & supporting me. I really appreciate it. :)

Still, dedicating to you guys. Don't forget to comment. Though, I already have a few names on my list of dedications. :)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CHAPTER - 28

PAINFULLY AWKWARD

I waited.

I waited for the time to come when Kim would roll her eyes, remove his hand from her waist and would tell me with a smirk that it was a joke that Josh had decided to play on me. Then I would laugh as the truth would hit me that whatever Josh had just said about Kim being his fiancé is just some lame, pathetic joke.

But that time never came.

My eyes went from her face to her left hand; there was a huge diamond ring on her ring finger sending the message to everyone loud and clear that she was taken. She really was taken.

Josh's smile slowly disappeared at the lack of any response from either of us. Kim was quick to notice this and she smiled at me politely. "Nice to see you again, Keith," she said.

After what seemed like hours, but were probably just a few seconds, I found my voice back and replied, "Same here, Kim."

"What? You both know each other?" Josh's startled voice broke our eye contact and we both looked at him. I was surprised.

'Why didn't Kim ever tell her 'fiancé' that she knew me? What was there to hide?'

This was so hypocritical of me. Never even I had ever mentioned about Kim to Veronica or anyone else.

I looked back at Kim, who was looking at Josh with her lips pressed in a thin line. Eventually, she shrugged and gazed into Josh's grey eyes. "I thought it was nothing important," she told him and I felt like a huge knife had been stabbed in my heart.

I looked at her in complete disbelief. How could she say that?

'Nothing important.'

Apparently it was not only me who had expressions of disbelief on his face, Josh was mirroring my expressions and he looked at Kim like she was crazy. "It was so important. We've been after him to do this cover story with us for about five months, Kimberly. If I'd known that you know him, I'd have made you talk to him," he told her with disbelief in his voice. He looked back at me and asked, "Keith, you'd have agreed to this cover story with us if Kimberly would have talked to you, right?"

'Why the hell is she not glaring at him and telling him to not call her Kimberly?'

"Of course!" I replied in a heartbeat. But, this time, unlike this morning my answer was not at all diplomatic. It was the truth. It had taken Josh Stark himself to contact me numerous times and a lot of requests from Veronica to make me do this Cover story and I had finally agreed to do this a month back. If I'd known that Kim had anything to do with Josh Stark or GGIA, there is no doubt that I'd have agreed in an instant.

My answer made Kim look at me with wide eyes and slightly parted mouth. She couldn't believe it, it was clear. But, Josh was completely oblivious to our reactions as he beamed after hearing my answer and looked back at Kim. "Didn't I tell you?"

His voice made Kim step out of her bubble of disbelief and surprise. She looked at him with a smirk and answered, "I don't like to use my influence and it was fun to see you nagging about how 'Warren' was not agreeing to do that 'sh*t'."