Seven

Remus cracks his eyes open.

It must still be quite early because the room is cool. The windows are boarded up, but streaks of sunlight still pass through the gaps, etching delicate patterns on the floorboards. Specks of dust are floating around Remus in slow, lazy circles, ascending towards the ceiling as if looking for a way out.

It's a bold contrast against the scattered remnants of a broken chair lying right in the middle of the room. 

Remus holds his palms out to a beam of light, letting his skin soak up the gentle warmth of the sun as he inspects the damage. His hands are bloody and painful, but he's certain Madam Pomfrey will be able to get the splinters out. It had perhaps been naive of him to bring a chair into the room, but he'd been tired and the floor had been so cold that he'd allowed himself this one small luxury as he awaited his transformation.

Shakily, he gets to his feet, keeping his ripped blanket wrapped tight around himself. It's highly unlikely that anyone would venture into the Shack and see him, but he still doesn't feel comfortable walking around naked. 

Besides, what if, on some whim, Hagrid decides to come looking for him? Remus has no intention of scarring the poor man for life.

The adjacent room is fully furnished, courtesy of whoever had occupied the house before it was abandoned some two or three decades ago. Remus dresses quickly. There is no mirror in the room, but he doesn't mind. In fact, he's almost grateful that he doesn't have to look himself, at the scarred skin stretching across his hollow skull, an inescapable reminder of the monster that lies within him.

He descends into the basement and climbs up a narrow set of stairs that lead to an opening tucked away safe and so far unnoticed at the base of the Whomping Willow. When he emerges into the school grounds, he can see Hagrid waiting for him a safe distance away from the tree.

Hagrid is a massive man who resembles a teddy bear both by appearance and personality. He's at least twice Remus' height and four times his width, with thick, dark hair, and eyebrows and a beard to match. He smells of the Forest, which isn't, on its own, a pleasant smell, but has always filled Remus with a sense of security.

Hagrid is one of the handful of people at Hogwarts privy to the fact that Remus Lupin is a werewolf. And he's never once mentioned it despite being unfailingly present at the edge of the Forest each time Remus comes back after the Full Moon. 

Over the years, Remus has come to associate Hagrid with his humanity itself, the sight of him the first concrete sign that Remus is back. 

Remus makes quick work of the short distance separating them. 

"Mornin', Remus," Hagrid gives him a pat on the back, almost making him lose his balance. 

"Good morning, Hagrid," Remus manages a smile. 

"Got bruised up, did ya?" Hagrid frowns at the cuts on his arms. "Bet Poppy will fix you up in no time, eh? And you'll never know it happened," he grins.

Remus doesn't have the heart to remind him that the scars will never fade. 

Hagrid takes him all the way to the Hospital Wing, rambling about the new plants he's acquired for the gardens. They find Madam Pomfrey waiting for them, hands clasped in front of her as she peers into the corridor. Her face breaks into a smile when she sees them.

"Hello, my dear," she takes Remus by his shoulders, guiding him into the Wing. 

"Hi, Poppy," Remus smiles.

Madam Pomfrey reminds Remus of his mother. She's short and plump where Hope Lupin is lean and tall, but the scent of herbs wafting off of her makes Remus think of his mother's favourite tea. Chamomile.